Date tamarind chutney- A sweet and tangy tamarind and date chutney-Khajoor Imli ki Chutney
Date Tamarind Chutney/ Khajoor imli ki chutney/ Sweet tamarind chutney is the most popular chutney of Northern India .It is served with each and every snack and chaat items, no chaat is complete with out drizzling few spoons of this tangy chutney.
I always keep a jar full of tamarind chutney in my refrigerator and on each festival it is the first thing to make before starting to make the savory snacks.
Making date tamarind chutney is quite easy if you add the ingredients in correct ratio to balance the sweet and sour taste of it .You can use either sugar or jaggary ,both taste good. The spice level can also be adjusted according to your preference but as it is used over chats so it will be on spicier side.
But do remember to remove all the seeds from date and tamarind before grinding else they will ruin the taste of the chutney.addition of raisins is optional you can skip if you wish.
Though date tamarind chutney is the most popular one but their are few more versions of making sweet chutney other then making with tamarind ,we can also make saunth /sweet chutney with mango powder, aam papad and amchoor. These chutneys are also made prior to all the festival and celebrations.
Do Try these Delicious tangy chutneys-
- Aam Papad Chutney
- Methi Dana Chutney
- Apple Chutney
- Mixed Fruit Chutney
- Tangy Plum Chutney
- Kiwi Mint Chutney
- Ginger Chutney
- Amchoor ki chutney
Khajoor Imli Ki Chutney /Date and Tamarind Dip
- 1 cup Tamarind / Imli
- 25 Dates / Khajoor
- 1.5 cup Sugar / Chini
- 3 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder optional
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Wash the dates and remove the seeds.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 1/2 hour and then remove all the seeds carefully.
- Add tamarind and dates in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- When it cool down ,blend with a hand blender or mash well with your hand .
- Strain the pulp with a soup strainer.
- Add raisins and ginger,if you have fussy kids then add raisins and ginger in the strained pulp and blend again to make them into fine pieces.
- Now add sugar,salt and chili powder and a glass of water .(if you want to make it thinner, then add some more water here )
- Cook on slow flame for 20 minutes.then add roasted cumin powder and garam masala( personally I don’t like to add garam masala in this,but if you like, you can add)
- Give it a boil ,remove from fire and let it cool down completely.
- fill the prepared tamarind chutney in an air tight glass jar and Keep it refrigerated for a long shelf .
- Serve as a dip with any snack or starter ,drizzle over your chat or or as a side dish with stuffed paratha ,thepla and masala pooris etc.
- Instead of sugar you can also use Jaggary.
- you can use dry ginger powder instead of using fresh ginger.
- can adjust the consistency of the chutney according to your preference so add little less or more water to make it thinner or thicker as per your requirement.