Kanji Ka Mixed Vegetable Pickle ,Gajar Aloo Mooli ka Paani Wala Achar
Kanji ka Mixed vegetable pickle-Carrot,potato ,yam and radish pickled in Fermented mustard water
Servings: 10 person
- 3 Carrot / Gajar
- 3 Radish/ Mooli
- 150 gms Yam / Suran boiled
- 4 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 8 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 3 liter Water / Paani
- 4 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai * coarsely ground
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
Wash scrape and slice carrots and radish in roundels or batons.
Peel and chop boiled potato and yam in medium sized pieces.
Wash green chilies and chop in big pieces
Take a sterilized big glass or ceramic jar and add water ,mustard seed powder ,salt ,chili powder,asafoetida and turmeric and mix well
Now add all the sliced and chopped vegetables into it and mix well.
Cover the mouth of the jar with a muslin cloth and keep in a warm spot of your kitchen counter or keep for few hours in sun light.
After 3 - 4 days the water will become sour and then you can start using the pickle.
Keep it refrigerated after a week else it may become too sour to drink.
When the kanji become Too sour then you can remove the vegetables from the kanji and add with some oil from your mango and chili pickle and use as mixed veg pickle.
- I have used yellow rai kuria as it gives a nice colour to the pickle but if you dint have rai kuria then can use black mustard seeds .
- you can adjust the quantity and ratio of vegetables as per your choice ,but the water level should be at least 3-4 inchs above the vegetables.
- Can add raw carrots and radish or can blanch them if you wish .
- You can also add boiled suran/yam , shakarkand/sweet potato,and kachalu in this pickle.
- Turnip can be added instead of radish.