Kanji ka mixed vegetable pickle – Gajar ,aloo mooli ka Paani wala achar- Carrot,potato and radish pickled in Fermented mustard water
Kanji ka mixed vegetable pickle- I am sure most of us know about kanji which is specially made during winter season when we get purple carrots or fresh red carrots .I always make a big batch of Gajar ki Kanji as soon as fresh red and black carrots start coming in the market .The kanji is served as a drink or can be used as a side dish with rice, khichdi or parathas.
I have added potato,carrots and radish in this delicious tangy kanji ka mixed vegetable pickle but you can substitute radish with turnip ,if you dint like the smell of radish in the pickle.You can also add boiled yam/suran ,sweet potato/shakarkand and kachalu in it.
I have used raw carrots and radish as I like the crispness of the vegetables but you can blanch them before adding in the water if you wish. Usually the pickle gets ready in 3-4 days but the fermentation also depends on the heat in the climate, so it may take 3-6 days to mature.You can keep it in sunlight for few hours daily to speed up the process.
Kanji vada is a must have on the festival of Holi ,though it is a specialty from Rajasthan but is now popular in all the Northern states of India .My Mother used to make Aloo gajar ka rai wala achar and this paani wala aloo ,gajar ,mooli ka achar to serve with stuffed parathas like Aloo methi paratha , Methi thepla , Green Moong Daal Khichdi etc .This paani wala rai ka achar stays good for a week at room temperature and then it is better to keep it refrigerated else it becomes too sour to drink.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayek
Kanji Ka Mixed Vegetable Pickle ,Gajar Aloo Mooli ka Paani Wala Achar
- 3 Carrot / Gajar
- 3 Radish/ Mooli
- 150 gms Yam / Suran boiled
- 4 Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 8 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 3 liter Water / Paani
- 4 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai * coarsely ground
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- Wash scrape and slice carrots and radish in roundels or batons.
- Peel and chop boiled potato and yam in medium sized pieces.
- Wash green chilies and chop in big pieces
- Take a sterilized big glass or ceramic jar and add water ,mustard seed powder ,salt ,chili powder,asafoetida and turmeric and mix well
- Now add all the sliced and chopped vegetables into it and mix well.
- Cover the mouth of the jar with a muslin cloth and keep in a warm spot of your kitchen counter or keep for few hours in sun light.
- After 3 - 4 days the water will become sour and then you can start using the pickle.
- Keep it refrigerated after a week else it may become too sour to drink.
- When the kanji become Too sour then you can remove the vegetables from the kanji and add with some oil from your mango and chili pickle and use as mixed veg pickle.
- I have used yellow rai kuria as it gives a nice colour to the pickle but if you dint have rai kuria then can use black mustard seeds .
- you can adjust the quantity and ratio of vegetables as per your choice ,but the water level should be at least 3-4 inchs above the vegetables.
- Can add raw carrots and radish or can blanch them if you wish .
- You can also add boiled suran/yam , shakarkand/sweet potato,and kachalu in this pickle.
- Turnip can be added instead of radish.
This is the first time I made an achar , it turned it really good. Thanks for the recipe.
Delicious sweet recipe