Kathal Ka Achar
A delicious raw jackfruit and mango pickle
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 kg jackfruit/kathal
- 350 gms Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 2 Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 3 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 5 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
How To Peel The jackfruit- apply oil on your hands and the knife and then peel the jackfruit and cut into medium size pieces.
Seperate the jackfruit seeds and peel the skin /covering and slice them into two pieces.
Boil enough water in a pan with 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt.
Add the jackfruit pieces and the seeds and cook till 3/4 done.
Drain in a colender and let all the water drain from the jackfruit.
Spread a cloth in direct sun light and spread the boiled jackfruit over it to remove the excess water for about 5-6 hours.
Dry roast the fennel and fenugreek seeds for 2-3 minutes and then coarsly grind them with mustard seeds.
Heat mustard oil till it start smoking ,remove from the gas and then let it come to medium tempearture.
Now add all the spices and the grated raw mango and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add the jack fruit pieces and mix well.
When it cool down completely then fill in a glass jar and keep covered for a day.
Then daily keep in sunlight for a week and start using after a week.
The pickle should be submerged in oil completely else it get mold easily so add more oil if needed.
- If raw mango is not easily available then double the quantity of mustard seeds.
- Dont over cook the jackfruit else it become mushy while mixing.
- Use white and raw jackfruit for making pickle,yellow colour ripe or semi ripe jackfruit can not be used for pickling.
- The boiled jackfruit should be dried properly as water can spoil the pickle very easily.Can also add 2 tbsps of whited vinegar for preservation.
- The pickle should be covered with oil till the top .