Kathal ka achar- A tangy and delicious raw Jackfruit pickle
Kathal ka achar – Jackfruit/kathal is a seasonal vegetable available during summer season in India.It is eaten as a fruit and vegetable both. In Northern part of India it is used mainly as a vegetable and in Southern part it is relished as a fruit and many sweets and deserts are made with jackfruit/ kathal.
Jackfruit grows on a huge tree and cultivated in tropical humid and rainy regions.It is rich in dietary fiber,Vitamin A,B and C ,have anti oxidant properties. Also have good amount of potassium,Iron and Magnesium.
The jackfruit have very hard skin and while cutting a sticky sap comes out from the flesh which is not easy to clean so it is very important to oil your hands and the knife for easy cleaning.
The flesh and the seeds both can be used in the cooking .The seeds have a thick plastic like covering so it can be easily stored for a long time but do remember to peel the ripe seeds before using.
This Kathal ka achar/ jackfruit pickle is my grandmothers specialty and my mom learned from her and making it regularly. do try this pickle and give me your feedback how it turn out for you.
Do try these delicious recipes-
- kathal ke beej ki sabzi.
- Kathal ka Pulao
- Bhindi ka Raita
- Tangy green chili pickle
- kathal ki sabzi.
- Baigan ka chokha
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kathal Ka Achar
- 1 kg jackfruit/kathal
- 350 gms Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 2 Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 3 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 5 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- How To Peel The jackfruit- apply oil on your hands and the knife and then peel the jackfruit and cut into medium size pieces.
- Seperate the jackfruit seeds and peel the skin /covering and slice them into two pieces.
- Boil enough water in a pan with 1/2 tsp turmeric and 1 tsp salt.
- Add the jackfruit pieces and the seeds and cook till 3/4 done.
- Drain in a colender and let all the water drain from the jackfruit.
- Spread a cloth in direct sun light and spread the boiled jackfruit over it to remove the excess water for about 5-6 hours.
- Dry roast the fennel and fenugreek seeds for 2-3 minutes and then coarsly grind them with mustard seeds.
- Heat mustard oil till it start smoking ,remove from the gas and then let it come to medium tempearture.
- Now add all the spices and the grated raw mango and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the jack fruit pieces and mix well.
- When it cool down completely then fill in a glass jar and keep covered for a day.
- Then daily keep in sunlight for a week and start using after a week.
- The pickle should be submerged in oil completely else it get mold easily so add more oil if needed.
- If raw mango is not easily available then double the quantity of mustard seeds.
- Dont over cook the jackfruit else it become mushy while mixing.
- Use white and raw jackfruit for making pickle,yellow colour ripe or semi ripe jackfruit can not be used for pickling.
- The boiled jackfruit should be dried properly as water can spoil the pickle very easily.Can also add 2 tbsps of whited vinegar for preservation.
- The pickle should be covered with oil till the top .