Tangy Tomato Chutney, Tomato Thokku
Tangy tomato chutney - Delicious ,easy tomato chutney/ thokku -South Indian Style
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 1 jar
- 1/2 kg Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Jaggary / Gud
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1 tsp Split White Gram / Safed Urad
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
Dry Roast fenugreek seeds/methidana in a pan on low heat till they become red in colour.
Cool fenugreek seeds and grind to make a fine powder and keep aside.
Heat oil in a wide and heavy bottom pan .
Ad cooking oil and when it become warm add white lentil and mustard seeds.
When seeds start crackling add asafoetida, curry leaves and whole red chilies.
Now add chopped tomatoes and salt and mix.
Cover the pan partially with a lid and let it cook on medium heat till tomatoes become soft.
Now add jaggary,chili powder and 1/2 tsp of roasted fenugreek powder and mix.
Simmer till it thicken and oil surface.
Keep stirring in between to avoid sticking at the bottom.
When it become thick ,let it cool down completely.
Store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated.
Though it stays well for 3-4 days at room temperature but I prefer to store it in the refrigerator during summer.
Serving suggestions- taste great with idli, dosa, rice, roti and fried snacks.
- Don't over roast fenugreek seeds else they taste bitter.
- Can substitute jaggary with sugar,but I prefer using jaggary
- use ripe red tomatoes