Tangy tomato chutney – Delicious ,easy tomato chutney/ thokku -South Indian Style
Tangy Tomato Chutney- Chutneys are an integral part of Indian cuisine. An Indian thali is incomplete without some chutney or pickle.Their are so many types of chutneys some are raw, some are cooked, made with herbs, fruits and with vegetables.
Tangy tomato chutney is very popular in North Indian and South Indian cuisine.This tomato thokku is my favorite as it have a fresh taste of tomato and the roasted methi seed powder gives it a nice taste.
This tangy tomato chutney is quite a simple and easy recipe which pairs well with idli,dosa,poori ,chapati, breads or any fried snack. This tomato thokku stays well for a month in the refrigerator
You may also like these Delicious Recipes-
- Sweet tomato chutney
- MTR style Khara Bhath
- Cheesy Pizza Puffs
- Ragi Aloo Poori
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Bengali Mishti Pulao
- Kutchi Dabeli
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Tangy Tomato Chutney, Tomato Thokku
- 1/2 kg Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Jaggary / Gud
- 3.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1 tsp Split White Gram / Safed Urad
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves
- Dry Roast fenugreek seeds/methidana in a pan on low heat till they become red in colour.
- Cool fenugreek seeds and grind to make a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wide and heavy bottom pan .
- Ad cooking oil and when it become warm add white lentil and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add asafoetida, curry leaves and whole red chilies.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and salt and mix.
- Cover the pan partially with a lid and let it cook on medium heat till tomatoes become soft.
- Now add jaggary,chili powder and 1/2 tsp of roasted fenugreek powder and mix.
- Simmer till it thicken and oil surface.
- Keep stirring in between to avoid sticking at the bottom.
- When it become thick ,let it cool down completely.
- Store in a glass jar and keep refrigerated.
- Though it stays well for 3-4 days at room temperature but I prefer to store it in the refrigerator during summer.
- Don't over roast fenugreek seeds else they taste bitter.
- Can substitute jaggary with sugar,but I prefer using jaggary
- use ripe red tomatoes
Food wholesalers says
Awesome and very tasty ….Thanks to share.
Kushi S says
beautiful presentation and yummy chutney!
Jeena suraj says
Tangy, spicy and delicious chutney..
Nice chutney . spicy and tangy..
beena stephen says
Looks very delicious