Kuzhi Paniyaram / Appe / Punugulu (Crispy dumplings made from leftover Idli batter)
Kuzhi Paniyaram - A crisp and delicious shallow fried snack made with leftover idli batter
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 2 cup Idli Batter
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch Chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak Chopped
- 8 - 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coconut, Grated
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Eno fruit salt a pinch
Heat oil in a small pan.
Add mustard seeds and white lentil/urad daal in the oil.
When seeds start crackling add green chili, asafoetida, and curry leaves.
Now add this tempering in the idli batter (dropping consistency batter)
Add chopped coriander and ginger and little salt if needed.
Mix well and then add eno just before preparing.
Heat paniyaram pan and drizzle few drops of oil in the non stick paniyaram pan.
Fill the holes with about a tbsp of prepared batter.
Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat till it become dry on top and sides become golden.
Now drizzle some oil on the top of the paniyaram.
Turn the side with a fork or skewer stick and cook till it become golden from the bottom.
Remove the cooked paniyarams from the pan .
Serve hot with tomato chutney or coconut chutney.
- You can also add some grated carrot ,cabbage,spinach or any vegetables of your choice in the batter.
- Can also add some cashew nuts in the tempering at step-3