Kuzhi Paniyaram – A crisp and delicious shallow fried snack made with leftover idli batter
Irrespective of the type – a paniyaram pan is a heavy bottom pan with deep holes in it. A little oil is drizzled in these holes and then about 1-2 tbsp (depends on the size of the pan) of prepared batter is added in it.
The pan is then placed on medium heat for few minutes to cook the paniyarams. The paniyarams are then turned with a skewer and cooked on the other side too till golden in colour. This snack can be served with coconut chutney,tomato chutney or any dip of your choice.
Do try these delicious recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Kuzhi Paniyaram / Appe / Punugulu (Crispy dumplings made from leftover Idli batter)
- 2 cup Idli Batter
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch Chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak Chopped
- 8 - 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coconut, Grated
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Eno fruit salt a pinch
- Heat oil in a small pan.
- Add mustard seeds and white lentil/urad daal in the oil.
- When seeds start crackling add green chili, asafoetida, and curry leaves.
- Now add this tempering in the idli batter (dropping consistency batter)
- Add chopped coriander and ginger and little salt if needed.
- Mix well and then add eno just before preparing.
- Heat paniyaram pan and drizzle few drops of oil in the non stick paniyaram pan.
- Fill the holes with about a tbsp of prepared batter.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook on medium heat till it become dry on top and sides become golden.
- Now drizzle some oil on the top of the paniyaram.
- Turn the side with a fork or skewer stick and cook till it become golden from the bottom.
- Remove the cooked paniyarams from the pan .
- Serve hot with tomato chutney or coconut chutney.
- You can also add some grated carrot ,cabbage,spinach or any vegetables of your choice in the batter.
- Can also add some cashew nuts in the tempering at step-3
Dr. Puneet says
I follow ur recipes and all are just great!!
Maam can you suggest where can we get this traditional iron pan not cast iron …in india
Thank You Dr.Puneet !you can easily get this Iron pan in southern part of India or try in amazon
Rumana Ambrin says
I love them, I'm not able to make it from more then a year because I left my pan in India.. Looks so tempting..
Hi Anjana, just stopped by to let you know you've been featured today over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers
nandoos Kitchen says
delicious paniyaram and loved the paniyaram pan too..
Shobha Kamath says
Wow ! They look so delicious. I love them.I too make them often.