Lauki Tamatar ki Subzi
Lauki Tamatar ki Sabzi - Mildly spiced bottle gourd and tomato curry
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 3 people
- 550 gms Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 200 gms Tomato / Tamatar Chopped ( 2 Medium )
- 2 tsp Green chili/hari mirch Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1.5 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
Peel bottle gourd and chop in medium size pieces
Heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker
When ghee become warm then add cumin seeds
When seeds start crackling add chopped green chilies and asafoetida
Now add chopped tomato and salt.
Stir fry for few seconds.
Add turmeric and chopped bottle gourd in the cooker.
Add 1 cup of water in the vegetables and mix.
Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook on medium heat .
Cook for about 3-4 whistles or till it cooks completely.
When cool down completely then open the cooker and mix sugar and chopped coriander.
Mix and serve with a spoon of ghee on top.(optional)
Serving suggestions- Taste best with hot and fresh chapatis or parathas.
- Choose fresh and tender bottle gourd ,hard bottle gourd take much time to cook and didn't taste very good.
- Make sure to remove all the hard and thick seeds of bottle gourd, but no need to remove the small tender seeds.
- You can add some more water if you want a thin gravy.
- You can also add a piece of potato if you like.
- Can use ghee or oil in the tempering but ghee taste best in bottle gourd curry.
- Can add 1 tsp of lemon juice if needed.