Lauki Tamatar Sabzi – Mildly spiced bottle gourd and tomato curry
When you go to buy bottle gourd try to choose a small or medium size firm bottle gourd with bright and shiny green color, as big sized lauki may be over ripe and mature and have hard peel and thick seeds which didn’t taste good and take much time to cook.
A simple trick which I learned from my mother is to lightly press your nail in the bottle gourd peel, if it is tender and fresh then your nail will very easily pierce the bottle gourd but if you cant press easily then it is surely over ripe and hard so avoid buying such type of bottle gourd.
Every one in my family likes lauki so I make it often. Lauki taste great with mild and fresh herbs so you don’t need to add too much spices and oil in bottle gourd curry. This mildly spiced tomato and lauki ki subzi is a favorite of everyone .
I have used fresh spice to make this curry,Tomatoes gives a very nice and fresh tangy taste to this curry.You can also add a small potato in the curry if you wish.but don’t add too many powdered spices in lauki tamatar ki subzi.
I make so many curries and desserts from Lauki-
- lauki Chana Daal ki subzi ,
- Lauki moong daal sabzi
- Lauki ka
- Lauki ka raita
- Lauki ki kheer
- Lauki ka halwa.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Lauki Tamatar ki Sabzi
- 550 gms Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 200 gms Tomato / Tamatar Chopped ( 2 Medium )
- 2 tsp Green chili/hari mirch Chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1.5 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- Peel bottle gourd and chop in medium size pieces
- Heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker
- When ghee become warm then add cumin seeds
- When seeds start crackling add chopped green chilies and asafoetida
- Now add chopped tomato and salt.
- Stir fry for few seconds.
- Add turmeric and chopped bottle gourd in the cooker.
- Add 1 cup of water in the vegetables and mix.
- Close the lid of pressure cooker and cook on medium heat .
- Cook for about 3-4 whistles or till it cooks completely.
- When cool down completely then open the cooker and mix sugar and chopped coriander.
- Mix and serve with a spoon of ghee on top.(optional)
- Choose fresh and tender bottle gourd ,hard bottle gourd take much time to cook and didn't taste very good.
- Make sure to remove all the hard and thick seeds of bottle gourd, but no need to remove the small tender seeds.
- You can add some more water if you want a thin gravy.
- You can also add a piece of potato if you like.
- Can use ghee or oil in the tempering but ghee taste best in bottle gourd curry.
- Can add 1 tsp of lemon juice if needed.
Neha Sharma says
Very nice & easy recipe thank you so much ma’am
Thanks for the healthy, easy-to-make recipe. I was wondering if we need to peel and remove seeds of bottle gourd even if they are soft. Should we do this for all other vegetables too, for ex ridge gourd (turai)?
yes we need to peel bottle gourd and turai and if the seeds are hard then need to remove them else keep the soft seeds.
beena stephen says
Quick and healthy curry . Love it