Tomato Chutney Recipe (For Idlis and Dosas)
Tangy tomato and lentil dip
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 2 cup
- 400 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped -400 gms (4 medium)
- 3 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 tbsp White lentil/urad daal
- 5 Red kashmiri chilies
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Tamarind / Imli dried – 1tsp
- Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 2 dried whole red chilies
- 6 Curry Leaves
Wash and chop tomatoes into small pieces.
Heat oil in a pan and bengal gram and white lentil.
Saute on low heat till they become golden in colour.
Now add dried red chilies and curry leaves and saute till chili gets a nice colour,but do not overcook otherwise the lentil may get burnt.
Add turmeric, asafoetida, salt and chopped tomatoes.
Cook on medium flame till tomatoes become soft.
Remove the mixture in a bowl and let it cool down completely.
Add the tomato mixture and tamarind in the mixer jar.
Grind the mixture to make a smooth paste.
Take out the chutney in a bowl.
Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds.
When seeds start crackling add whole red chilies and few curry leaves and add in the chutney
Mix and serve with dosa and idlis
Keep refrigerated the left over chutney.