Chutney and dips have a special place in Indian cuisine, different types of chutneys are made to serve along with snacks and meals. I love to make different varieties of chutneys with greens, fruits and vegetables. The most popular chutney at my place is – Pineapple and bell peppers chutney which I usually serve with crispy snacks. The brightly colored and healthy fruity dip of – Kiwi and mint chutney is best when ever you have to finish the sour kiwis or to serve something tangy and fresh.
When ever we make south Indian snacks we usually make coconut chutney, but tomato chutney is also a popular tangy and easy accompaniment to serve with soft idlis and dosas. It is easy to make and stays well for a fortnight if kept refrigerated. The roasted lentils give a nice nutty flavour and texture to this tomato chutney.
Tomato Chutney Recipe (For Idlis and Dosas)
- 400 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped -400 gms (4 medium)
- 3 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 tbsp White lentil/urad daal
- 5 Red kashmiri chilies
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Tamarind / Imli dried – 1tsp
- Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 2 dried whole red chilies
- 6 Curry Leaves
- Wash and chop tomatoes into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and bengal gram and white lentil.
- Saute on low heat till they become golden in colour.
- Now add dried red chilies and curry leaves and saute till chili gets a nice colour,but do not overcook otherwise the lentil may get burnt.
- Add turmeric, asafoetida, salt and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook on medium flame till tomatoes become soft.
- Remove the mixture in a bowl and let it cool down completely.
- Add the tomato mixture and tamarind in the mixer jar.
- Grind the mixture to make a smooth paste.
- Take out the chutney in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add whole red chilies and few curry leaves and add in the chutney
- Mix and serve with dosa and idlis
- Keep refrigerated the left over chutney.