Moong Daal with Amaranth Leaves
Moong Daal With Amaranth Leaves- Healthy delicious Yellow lentils cooked with red amaranth leaves/ Laal Bhaji/ Chaulai
Servings: 4 people
- 1 cup Yellow lentil /moong daal
- 1 bunch Red amaranth leaves chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Pure Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 dried whole red chilies
Wash and soak moong daal for approx.15 minutes.
Add soaked daal, amaranth leaves,tomato,green chiles with little water and a tsp of oil in the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles or till done.
When cool down completly ,open the pressure cooker and gently mash the daal.
Add water to adjust the consistency and mix well.
Add ginger,turmeric,chili powder,sugar and salt and boil on medium heat for 10 minutes.
Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds.
When seed start crackling add whole red chilies and asafoetida.
Pour the tempering in the boiling daal.
Simmer for a minute and then remove from the flame.
Add lemon juice and serve hot with a spoon of melted ghee on top.
Serving suggestions-best served with steamed rice and chapati.