Amaranth Daal – Healthy Delicious Yellow lentils cooked with red amaranth leaves
Amaranth daal – Red Amaranth is very healthy and contains twice calcium than spinach yet less popular than spinach or any other green.It taste mild and nutty,and is rich in Iron,Magnesium,fiber ,calcium,protein.
I saw these leaves only after coming to Dubai as they are not available in my home town,since then I have never tried these due to its dark red color,but few days back I brought a bunch and thought of trying to mix it with moong daal like I always make with spinach.Loved the beautiful color of the daal as if cooked with lots of tomatoes and taste good too.
Do try these Daal Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Moong Daal with Amaranth Leaves
- 1 cup tuvar dal /moong daal
- 1 bunch Red amaranth leaves chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Pure Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 dried whole red chilies
- Wash and soak daal for approx.15 minutes.
- Add soaked daal, amaranth leaves,tomato,green chiles with little water and a tsp of oil in the pressure cooker and cook for 2 whistles or till done.
- When cool down completly ,open the pressure cooker and gently mash the daal.
- Add water to adjust the consistency and mix well.
- Add ginger,turmeric,chili powder,sugar and salt and boil on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds.
- When seed start crackling add whole red chilies and asafoetida.
- Pour the tempering in the boiling daal.
- Simmer for a minute and then remove from the flame.
- Add lemon juice and serve hot with a spoon of melted ghee on top.
- Serving suggestions-best served with steamed rice and chapati.
was looking out for this type of recipe. What to use as a replacement for tomato. Can we use tamarind pulp.
Anjana Chaturvedi says
yes you can use tamarind pulp or lemon juice
Gayathri Ramanan says
healthy dal..looks yummy
Healthy comfort food 🙂
Sapana Behl says
Wow ! Never used these leaves ! Must be great !!
Rani's gourmet says
healthy and delicious…beautiful clicks:)
Kalpana Sareesh says
wonderful dhal with greens!!