Amritsari Masala Baigan
Baby brinjals cooked in tamarind and spice gravy
Servings: 4 people
- 350 grams Baby Brinjal / Baby Eggplant / Chhote Baingan (15)
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tsp Tamarind / Imli paste
- 2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- a pinch Nigella Seeds / Kalonji
- 3/4 cup Water / Paani
Spice to mix
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 2 tbsp Coconut, Dessicated
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- a pinch Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
Wash and make 4 slits in the brinjals( +), keeping the steam and the brinjal intact .
In a bowl mix all the spices listed in - Spice to mix(A)
Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds ,when they start crackling add kalonji and grated ginger.
Saute and add chopped tomato,stir for a minute and add the spice mixture(A).
Stir for 30 seconds and then add brinjals and salt ,saute for a minute.
Add 1 cup water,mix well,and pressure cook on medium flame for 1 whistle.
Open the cooker as soon as it cool down.
Add tamarind pulp and sugar and cook for 1 minute on medium flame.
Add fresh coriander and serve.
If you don't want to use nigella seeds (kalonji)and ajwain, then use cumin seeds instead.
Serving suggestions-best ith chapati,daal and rice