Amritsari masala baigan-Spicy and delicious brinjals a speciality of Amritsar-Punjab(India)
Amritsari masala baigan is a very nice tangy Delicious recipe made with baby brinjals. I have made it in the pressure cooker but you can also make it in a kadhai or pan. First the tomato and the spice mix is added in the tadka and stir fried. Then the brinjals are added in the prepared masala nd sauted for few minutes.
Now add some water and pressure cook for a minute on high heat. Open the cooker when pressure cool down add tamarind pulp and give a boil, Serve your delicious masala baigan with rice, biryani or roti parathas.
I have also posted these delicious recipes of-
- Kashmiri Doodhi Yakhni,
- Lauki mangodi Ki Sabzi
- Lauki ka raita
- Bharwa Karela
- Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- Lauki chana daal.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Amritsari Masala Baigan
- 350 grams Baby Brinjal / Baby Eggplant / Chhote Baingan (15)
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tsp Tamarind / Imli paste
- 2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- a pinch Nigella Seeds / Kalonji
- 3/4 cup Water / Paani
Spice to mix
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 2 tbsp Coconut, Dessicated
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- a pinch Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Wash and make 4 slits in the brinjals( +), keeping the steam and the brinjal intact .
- In a bowl mix all the spices listed in - Spice to mix(A)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds ,when they start crackling add kalonji and grated ginger.
- Saute and add chopped tomato,stir for a minute and add the spice mixture(A).
- Stir for 30 seconds and then add brinjals and salt ,saute for a minute.
- Add 1 cup water,mix well,and pressure cook on medium flame for 1 whistle.
- Open the cooker as soon as it cool down.
- Add tamarind pulp and sugar and cook for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Add fresh coriander and serve.