Amritsari masala baigan-Spicy and delicious brinjals a speciality of Amritsar-Punjab(India)
Amritsari masala baigan is a very nice tangy Delicious recipe made with baby brinjals. I have made it in the pressure cooker but you can also make it in a kadhai or pan. First the tomato and the spice mix is added in the tadka and stir fried. Then the brinjals are added in the prepared masala nd sauted for few minutes.
Now add some water and pressure cook for a minute on high heat. Open the cooker when pressure cool down add tamarind pulp and give a boil, Serve your delicious masala baigan with rice, biryani or roti parathas.
I have also posted these delicious recipes of-
- Kashmiri Doodhi Yakhni,
- Lauki mangodi Ki Sabzi
- Lauki ka raita
- Bharwa Karela
- Khatta Meetha Kaddu
- Lauki chana daal.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Amritsari Masala Baigan
- 350 grams Baby Brinjal / Baby Eggplant / Chhote Baingan (15)
- 1 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 8 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tsp Tamarind / Imli paste
- 2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- a pinch Nigella Seeds / Kalonji
- 3/4 cup Water / Paani
Spice to mix
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 2 tbsp Coconut, Dessicated
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- a pinch Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Wash and make 4 slits in the brinjals( +), keeping the steam and the brinjal intact .
- In a bowl mix all the spices listed in - Spice to mix(A)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds ,when they start crackling add kalonji and grated ginger.
- Saute and add chopped tomato,stir for a minute and add the spice mixture(A).
- Stir for 30 seconds and then add brinjals and salt ,saute for a minute.
- Add 1 cup water,mix well,and pressure cook on medium flame for 1 whistle.
- Open the cooker as soon as it cool down.
- Add tamarind pulp and sugar and cook for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Add fresh coriander and serve.
Delicious. Thank you for the recipe.
Ruhi Saxena says
I tried it as yesterday's dinner. It was simple and tasty. I guess tamarind pulp quantity should be reduced or eliminated as at the end..the tangy flavour of tamarind was overpowering the entire spices added. Can u comment on this mam?
This is my first time visit at here and i am genuinely pleasant to read all at
Made this the other day and it turned out to be so simple and super tasty. Thanks much.
what about the curry leaves…u havent mentioned what to do about it.
[email protected] says
Fabulous recipe. I love making baingan in different forms. Bookmarking this :)I must make this.
Mina Joshi says
The baigan looks delicious.
Vimitha Anand says
Nice and yummy preparation
awesome and inviting!
Event Oct 5th to Nov 5th
SYF&HWS – Cook with Spices
South Indian Cooking
Looks so flavorful and delicious..
Am drooling here..
Prathima Rao says
Tempting & delicious..Easy to make too!!
Absolutely divine. Awesome clicks dear.
woow mouthwatering will try soon
wow.. finger-licking curry..
very tempting dish …my hubbs favorite vegetable ,will surely try this..
Super Yummy Recipes
Kaveri Venkatesh says
That Looks really yum!
Wow.. Delicious looking baigan. They will go so well with hot rotis.