Tomato and Lentil Chutney
A Southern Indian specialty – tempered tomato and lentil chutney.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 TBSP Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1 tbsp Black lentil / Urad daal
- 1 tbsp Whole coriander seeds – 1 tblsp
- 4 Whole red chillies – 4
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Thick tamarind pulp/ Imli ka ras
- 1 tsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Black lentil / Urad daal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 6 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 2 dried whole red chilies
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
Heat oil in a pan. Add the chana daal(bengal gram), whole coriander and urad daal.
Saute on low heat for 1 minute then add curry leaves and whole red chillies. Keep frying till they become golden in colour.
Now add the chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric and chilli powder, and cook on low heat till they soften and are cooked well. (Note: Do not cover the pan with a lid while cooking).
Let the mix cool down completely. Then transfer the contents of the pan to a mixer jar, and grind it with tamarind pulp and jaggery to make a smooth paste.
tsp of oil in a small pan, and add black gram and mustard seeds, then asafoetida, whole red chillies and curry leaves. When they are slightly roasted (The curry leaves should have a slight green colour on them.), pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
Serving Suggestions – Serve with Idli, Dosas, and almost any Indian snack. Can also be used a spread in sandwiches.