Lobhia Curry , Chawli , Black Eyed Peas Curry
Lobhia curry - Healthy and delicious black eyed pea curry
Servings: 4 people
- 200 grams Black Eyed Peas/Lobiya/Chawli
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 3 Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak minced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Pink Salt/ Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Carom Seeds / Ajwain a pinch
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2 tbsp Tamarind / Imli pulp
- 6 Curry Leaves
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
Wash and soak the black eyed peas for about 2 hours.
Drain the water. Add 1/2 tsp of turmeric, and pressure cook with just enough water for 3-4 whistles on medium heat.
Puree together tomatoes, ginger and green chillies and make a fine paste.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin, asafoetida, curry leaves, tomato puree, and cover and cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.
Add ajwain, paprika powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric, salt and black salt in the tomato puree and cook till oil start separating from the puree.
Add the boiled black eyed peas and a glass of water to the cooked puree.
Mix well, cover and let it simmer for 5-8 minutes, till the sauce starts thickening.
Now add the tamarind paste, garam masala and chopped coriander.
Cook for another minute and the black eyed peas are ready to eat.
Serving suggestion: Serve with cumin rice or any bread of your choice.
*Lemon juice can be used as a substitute for tamarind paste.