Sabudana Papad- Easy to make,delicious, Crisp Popadam made with sago pearls
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 cup Sago / Sabudana
- 6 cup Water
- 1.5 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes *
- 1 tsp Salt/ Namak
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice optional
Wash sabudana with water and then drain the water completely.
Now add 2 cups of water in the sabudana and cover with a lid and let it soak overnight or for minimum 6 hours.
Now take a heavy bottom pan or use your pressure cooker, add 4 cups of water and salt.
Add the soaked sabudana along with the water and mix.
Now cook on medium heat and keep stirring it continuously else it may stick to the bottom
After some time The sabudana mixture start getting thicker and become translucent. Do remember that the mixture will thicken further when it cool down so cook accordingly.
Now remove it from the flame and let it come to room temperature.
Add the cumin seeds and the chili flakes/ pepper powder/ chili paste and mix.(if you add cumin when the mixture is still hot then cumin release its colour and the mixture become creamish in colour)
How To Spread out Papad-
When the mixture come to room temperature then its ready to spread out.
Grease few steel or any metal plates or trays or use a thick plastic sheet
Take a spoon or ladle full of batter and gently pour over the plate or sheet.
Now with the spoon slightly spread it out,dont make it too thin .
After a day or in the evening ,when the papad's are semi dried then turn the side and let it completely dry for 2-3 days .
The time of drying depends on the heat in the weather ,it may take 2-6 days to completely dry.
When the sabudana papad dried completely they become crisp.
Store them in an airtight jar . Sabudana papad's easily stays fresh for an year.
How to Fry Sabudana Papad
Heat enough oil in a deep wide pan on medium heat
Add few papads at a time in hot oil.
As soon as papad start puffing turn the side with the help of a tong and fry from other side too.
No need to fry to a golden colour ,they should be white and crisp.
Remove the fried papad on a kitchen paper to remove the extra oil.
The leftover fried papad's can be easily stored in an airtight box to use later.
Serve sabudana papad as a snack or as accompaniment with your meal
Tips for making Sabudana Papad
- You can add red chili flakes, pepper powder, green chili paste,grated ginger as per your preference. or just omit any if making for small kids
- Instead of cumin seeds you can also add carom/ ajwain seeds.
- For making coloured papad's add spinach and mint puree, tomato puree Turmeric or beetroot juice.
- Add salt according to the measurement of dry sabudana.If you are using 1 cup dry sabudana then add salt according to 1 cup only, don't add according to the volume of the liquid mixture .
- Pinch of asafoetida can also be added.