Sabudana Papad – Easy to make,delicious, Crisp Popadam made with sago/tapioca pearls
Sabudana Papad/ Sago fryums/ Sabakki sandige/ Javvarisi vadam recipe with detailed post and step by step pictures.
In India food is incomplete without having few accompaniments in our thali. With the main course of daal ,sabzi ,rice and roti we do need few accompaniments like chutney,pickle and papad .Though Sabudana papad are easily available in the market but when we make papad at home then we can add spices, herbs as our taste preference.
Different variety of Papad
There are so many variety of papad made and consumed Regularly in India . Papad are sun dried thin round disk made with lentil flour,rice flour, sago, potato, semolina, refined flour, maize flour and even with wheat flour. Some variety of papad’s are made by making dough and then rolled to make thin papapda’s ,Some are made by making a thick batter or paste and then spreading on a plastic sheet or plate with a spoon or ladle.
Do try these homemade papad and chips Recipe-
- Aloo Papad and Aloo Sev
- Sooji Papad
- Potato Chips
- Rice Papad
- Sundried Potato Chips
- Moong Daal Mangodi
- Sun dried Tomatoes
How To Make Sabudana Papad
Sabudana papad is the most easiest papad recipe to try at home. You just have to soak the sago /tapioca pearls overnight and next day cook it with water till it become translucent. Then let it cool down slightly and add spices of your choice . Now spread the sabudana papad on either a thick plastic sheet or a greased steel or aluminium plate. It will dry completely in 2 -4 days . Then store in an airtight jar and fry when needed.
Variation of Sabudana Papad
Papad for fasting- If you are making sabudana papad for fasting then add rock salt/ sendha namak , cumin seeds and crushed pepper powder only.
If you are making for regular use then can add normal table salt, fresh or dried crushed mint leaves, chili flakes or green chili paste ,grated ginger as per your choice.
How To Make Colorful Sabudana Papad-
If you want to make Green colour sabudana papad – then use spinach, green chili and mint paste in the batter for making green papad.
For making Pink Papad – grate beetroot and squeeze out the juice and add in the papad batter.
For Making red papad – add thick tomato puree and some beetroot juice in the batter.
Easy Way- Instead of using vegetable puree you can use good quality food grade colour but I suggest to use vegetable puree instead of colour to make them healthier.
Take a cup of sabudana in a bowl and wash twice with water,now drain all the water and add 2 cups of water.
Cover the bowl and keep overnight or minimum 6 hours,So it absorb water and swell up nicely.
Next day add 4 cups of water,salt and cook till the sabudana mixture thicken and sago and the mixture become translucent.
Let the mixture come to room temperature then add the cumin seeds and the chili flakes/ pepper powder
Grease a plate or a thick plastic sheet. Pour a spoonful of mixture and spread out gently. Make medium thick papad as they become thinner when dried. You can make big or small in size as per your preference.
you can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipes every week
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook and Instagram for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1 cup Sago / Sabudana
- 6 cup Water
- 1.5 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes *
- 1 tsp Salt/ Namak
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice optional
- Wash sabudana with water and then drain the water completely.
- Now add 2 cups of water in the sabudana and cover with a lid and let it soak overnight or for minimum 6 hours.
- Now take a heavy bottom pan or use your pressure cooker, add 4 cups of water and salt.
- Add the soaked sabudana along with the water and mix.
- Now cook on medium heat and keep stirring it continuously else it may stick to the bottom
- After some time The sabudana mixture start getting thicker and become translucent. Do remember that the mixture will thicken further when it cool down so cook accordingly.
- Now remove it from the flame and let it come to room temperature.
- Add the cumin seeds and the chili flakes/ pepper powder/ chili paste and mix.(if you add cumin when the mixture is still hot then cumin release its colour and the mixture become creamish in colour)
How To Spread out Papad-
- When the mixture come to room temperature then its ready to spread out.
- Grease few steel or any metal plates or trays or use a thick plastic sheet
- Take a spoon or ladle full of batter and gently pour over the plate or sheet.
- Now with the spoon slightly spread it out,dont make it too thin .
- After a day or in the evening ,when the papad's are semi dried then turn the side and let it completely dry for 2-3 days .
- The time of drying depends on the heat in the weather ,it may take 2-6 days to completely dry.
- When the sabudana papad dried completely they become crisp.
- Store them in an airtight jar . Sabudana papad's easily stays fresh for an year.
How to Fry Sabudana Papad
- Heat enough oil in a deep wide pan on medium heat
- Add few papads at a time in hot oil.
- As soon as papad start puffing turn the side with the help of a tong and fry from other side too.
- No need to fry to a golden colour ,they should be white and crisp.
- Remove the fried papad on a kitchen paper to remove the extra oil.
- The leftover fried papad's can be easily stored in an airtight box to use later.
- Serve sabudana papad as a snack or as accompaniment with your meal
- You can add red chili flakes, pepper powder, green chili paste,grated ginger as per your preference. or just omit any if making for small kids
- Instead of cumin seeds you can also add carom/ ajwain seeds.
- For making coloured papad's add spinach and mint puree, tomato puree Turmeric or beetroot juice.
- Add salt according to the measurement of dry sabudana.If you are using 1 cup dry sabudana then add salt according to 1 cup only, don't add according to the volume of the liquid mixture .
- Pinch of asafoetida can also be added.
Priyali jain says
I tried this recipe taste is awesome but color is creamish why so?? Is it because I add cumin seeds when mixture is hot ?? And one more thing I want to ask should I dey this papads under the fan ??
Priyali if you add cumin while cooking or if it is hot then cumin will release its colour and the mixture become creamish. Yes you can dry it under the fan.