Mixed lentils cooked with select vegetables and spices with wheat and gram flour flat bread – from Uttar Pradesh (India)
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram/chana daal
- 1/4 cup yellow lentil/ Moong daal
- 1/3 CUP Pigeon peas/ Tuvar Daal
- 1/3 cup White lentil/ Urad daal
- 1/3 cup Red Lentil/ Masoor Daal
- 100 gm Spinach/ Palak
- 1 medium Potato
- 2 Tomato
- 2.5 tbsp Green Peas/matar
- 1/2 cup Brinjal/ Baigan Chopped
- 1/4 cup Karonda
- 4 Green Chilies
- 1 inch Ginger/ Adrak
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ haldi
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder/ Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Black salt/ Kala namak
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2.5 tbsp Ghee or oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard/ Rai
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds/Methidana
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds/ Saunf
- 4 whole driied red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 3 Cloves/ Lavang
Mix all the lentils in a bowl and wash properly,then soak in water for 20 minutes.
Pressure cook for 2 whistles with 1.5 cup water on medium heat .let it cool down completely.
Open the cooker, mix the boiled lentils gently and then add all the chopped vegetables and spices except lemon juice and fresh coriander. mix well.
Add 3.5 cup warm water and let it boil on medium heat for 20 minutes.can add some more water if needed.
Make the tempering-heat ghee in a small pan add fennel cumin,mustard ,fenugreek seeds,when it start crackling add whole red chilies ,asafoetida and cloves.
Pour the tempering in the boiling daal (lentils) and switch off the fire.
Add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
Serve hot with steamed rice and missi roti, phulka, bati or any bread of your choice.
1-* Karonda- is called Vakkay in telugu,Kalakai in Tamil,Bengal currant and christ’s thorn in South India,you can substitute this with star fruit or just use lemon juice
2-You can also make this without adding vegetables but addition of vegetables make it more healthy and delicious.