Panchmel daal- Mixed lentils cooked with select vegetables and spices with wheat and gram flour flat bread – from Uttar Pradesh (India)
Panchmel daal / mixed daal is a specialty of the state of Rajasthan, though Daal is a favorite of every Indian family.Every state have their special favorites and different way of making daal.
Panchmel daal- is again a very popular combination of mix daal and missi roti (tik-kar) which is very popular in Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan .It is also a very favorite combo meal of my Chaturvedi community usually served with baati or missi roti.
To make panchmel daal Selected five lentils are cooked with few vegetables and spices and served with a dry potato subzi,pickle, green chutney and missi roti / tikkar(tik-kar).Addition of five lentils gives it the name panchratna. This Panchmel daal goes well with missi roti ,roti, baati, litti and steamed or jeera rice.
Do try these delicious Daal Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Mixed lentils cooked with select vegetables and spices with wheat and gram flour flat bread – from Uttar Pradesh (India)
- 1/4 cup Bengal gram/chana daal
- 1/4 cup yellow lentil/ Moong daal
- 1/3 CUP Pigeon peas/ Tuvar Daal
- 1/3 cup White lentil/ Urad daal
- 1/3 cup Red Lentil/ Masoor Daal
- 100 gm Spinach/ Palak
- 1 medium Potato
- 2 Tomato
- 2.5 tbsp Green Peas/matar
- 1/2 cup Brinjal/ Baigan Chopped
- 1/4 cup Karonda
- 4 Green Chilies
- 1 inch Ginger/ Adrak
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ haldi
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder/ Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Black salt/ Kala namak
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2.5 tbsp Ghee or oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard/ Rai
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds/Methidana
- 1/4 tsp Fennel seeds/ Saunf
- 4 whole driied red chilies
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 3 Cloves/ Lavang
- Mix all the lentils in a bowl and wash properly,then soak in water for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles with 1.5 cup water on medium heat .let it cool down completely.
- Open the cooker, mix the boiled lentils gently and then add all the chopped vegetables and spices except lemon juice and fresh coriander. mix well.
- Add 3.5 cup warm water and let it boil on medium heat for 20 minutes.can add some more water if needed.
- Make the tempering-heat ghee in a small pan add fennel cumin,mustard ,fenugreek seeds,when it start crackling add whole red chilies ,asafoetida and cloves.
- Pour the tempering in the boiling daal (lentils) and switch off the fire.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and missi roti, phulka, bati or any bread of your choice.
thank you so much for th epicture + names of all dals !! it is useful 🙂
So fra your websites have so many grea dishes !! it makes me wanna prepare and food now in the middle of night XD
What a great blog…it's a beautiful thought to pass on the knowledge of your recipes to everyone. Married or not, one always learns from a mother :-)..
Bookmarked. Want to have this right now, even though I have finished dinner…
thank you very much. i will use lemon.
@Anonymous-Karonda give sourness,so if you don't have,then can use starfruit(kamrakh),if you don't have both then no problem,just adjust the amount of lemon juice according to your taste
if we don't have karonda what can we use?
Looks very tempting.. about your comment on fennel seeds in cutlet, its quite common in Kerala to add fennel to cutlet, channa dal vada (called masala vada) etc
Subhie Arun says
healthy..delicous n perfect meals….lov d combo!
Healthy daal and love the use of karonda if I am not wrong in Bengali it is called karomcha and it gives a little tangy taste! Very delicious and super combo!
Healthy, nice and inviting.. Daal with veggie? it's new for me must try:)…
Wow, wow, can I have that plate please..
Fat Chic Goes Slim says
Awesome recipe once again and a mouth watering plate. Loved the missi roti, will try it soon.
kitchen queen says
I am drooling and hungry looking at this awesome and delicious and perfect combo.
Healthy and comforting dhal. Looks very inviting.. Awesome presentation..
Divya's Culinary Journey
Showcase- FUN IN THE SUN
Bake along challenge # 4 – Peanut Butter
mouth watering platter…both dal n roti looks awesome
Spice up the Curry says
very delicious dal.. and with missi roti is perfect
Delicious and healthy recipe..
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
An absolutely tempting platter Anjana!
Kaveri Venkatesh says
A wholesome and healthy platter…Delicious authentic recipes
missi roti with mixed dal curry..yum yum yum..love it..
Santosh Bangar says
whole platter make me hungry.mouthwatering….
sowmya's creative saga says
love the platter..beautiful and yumm
Healthy combination of dal and looks so appetizing!
Healthy and tasty platter made me hungry:)
healthy combo of dal.. i must try this missi roti.. looks great..
Wat a super comforting dal, never seen this karonda,Lovely spread.
Meg's Delicious Adventures says
wow…i am drooling here and so healthy..bookmarked this one.
– Meg's Delicious Adventures
very delicious and heavy recipe.. this dal i had heard of but saw it first time. would love to try your version anjana
I love this kind of meal..looks delicious..had a similar meal last night..
srividhya Ravikumar says
delicious colourful recipe… love the combo