Gujarati Kadhi Recipe- Sweet ,sour and mildly spicy gram flour and buttermilk curry
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
- 1 liter Sour Buttermilk/ Chaas check notes
- 5 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 4 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- Pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder optional
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Sugar *
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 12 Curry Leaves
Take 1 cup buttermilk and gram flour in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or hand blender to remove any lumps and then add the remaining buttermilk and mix again.
Take the butter milk mixture in a cooking pan and add salt and sugar and let it boil on medium heat.
In a small pan heat ghee and add all the tempering ingredients and let it crackle on low flame,when become golden, add slit green chilies and whole red chilies ,saute and pour in the boiling kadi.
Add chopped ginger and curry leaves in the kadhi and simmer it for 15-20 minutes.keep stirring.
Add chopped green coriander and 1.5 t.s lemon juice and serve hot.
Serving suggestions- Serve with khichdi,pulao,daal rice or roti.
- Buttermilk- Take 1.5 cup sour curd and add 800 ml water (approx 3 cups)to make buttermilk. if curd is not sour then add 1 t.s extra lemon juice in kadi.
- Traditionally turmeric is not added in this curry, but you can add if you wish.
- You can adjust the quantity of sugar according to your preference - you can add 1 tsp to 4 tsp sugar as per your taste.
- If the buttermilk or yogurt is not sour enough then add few kokum pieces while boiling the kadhi or add lemon juice before serving.