Gujarati Kadhi Recipe- Sweet ,sour and mildly spicy gram flour and buttermilk curry
Servings: 5 person
- 1 liter Sour Buttermilk/ Chaas check notes
- 5 tbsp Gram flour / Besan
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 4 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- Pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder optional
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Sugar *
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 12 Curry Leaves
- 8 kokum pieces
Take 1 cup buttermilk and gram flour in a bowl and mix well with a whisk or hand blender to remove any lumps and then add the remaining buttermilk and mix again.
In a broad and deep cooking pan heat ghee and add all the tempering ingredients -Cumin seeds, Fenugreek Seeds and mustard seeds, and let it crackle on low flame,when seeds start crackling add cloves, cinnamon,cardamom,asafoetida, slit green chilies and whole red chilies ,saute and now pour the prepared buttermilk mixture in the pan.
Add salt ,sugar, chopped ginger , kokum and curry leaves in the kadhi and simmer it for 15-20 minutes. keep stirring and let it boil on medium heat.
Add chopped green coriander and 1.5 t.s lemon juice and serve hot.
Serving suggestions- Serve with khichdi,pulao,daal rice or roti.
- Buttermilk- Take 1.5 cup sour curd and add 800 ml water (approx 3 cups)to make buttermilk. if curd is not sour then add 1 t.s extra lemon juice in kadi.
- Traditionally turmeric is not added in this curry, but you can add if you wish.
- You can adjust the quantity of sugar according to your preference - you can add 1 tsp to 4 tsp sugar as per your taste.
- If the buttermilk or yogurt is not sour enough then add few kokum pieces while boiling the kadhi or add lemon juice before serving.