Besan Cheela, Vegetable Besan Pudla
Besan Cheela- Healthy Gluten free savory pancakes made with gram flour, vegetables and spices.
Servings: 5 cheela
- 1 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta optional
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1/2 cup Mixed vegetables finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 cup water check notes
In a big deep bowl add gram flour, rice flour and water and mix well to make a lump free smooth batter.cover and keep aside for 15 minute minimum.
Now add the finely chopped vegetables in the batter and mix well. You can add any vegetable of your choice i.e cabbage ,cauliflower, capsicum ,carrot, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli etc.
Heat a flat cast iron pan or a non stick pan and wipe it with little oil dipped cloth or tissue to season it.
When the pan become medium hot then pour a ladle full of batter on the tawa and gently spread it thinly . Take care that it will not break while spreading.
Let it cook on medium to low heat till the top looks dry.
Now drizzle a tsp of oil or ghee over and around the edges of the cheela and then flip it over.
Cook from the other side too and drizzle a tsp ghee or oil around the edges so the bottom sides also become nice and golden.
When chilla get cooked from both the sides then remove from the tawa and serve hot.
Serve with mint chutney, ketchup and a tangy dip of your choice.
- Addition of rice flour or maida is optional ,it helps to make the cheela soft ,even if it become cold.
- You can add any assorted vegetables of your choice in the cheela but chop them very fine either in a vegetable chopper or grate them.
- Can also make plain without any vegetable , or can just add tomato ,ginger and fresh coriander if available .
- You can also make it oil free on a non stick flat pan.
- The quantity of water depend on the quality of gram flour and the quantity of vegetables you are adding in the batter so add little less water in the beginning and then adjust accordingly later.
- The batter should be of smooth flowing texture , don't make it thick .
- If ajwain is not preferred then can add cumin seeds instead.