Besan Cheela- Healthy Gluten free savory pancakes made with gram flour, vegetables and spices.
Besan Cheela or Besan Pudla is a traditional recipe which can be easily and quickly made with just few basic ingredients available in each and every pantry. Besan chela can be served for breakfast, Brunch and also good option to pack in lunch boxes.
The color andthe texture of besan chiila is similar to the omelette so is also popular as vegetarian omelette. Traditionally it is made with gram flour and spices only but I like to add finely chopped vegetables in it to make it more healthier and light to digest. I like to add the chopped vegetable in the batter so it not only taste good but also spread easily.
You can also add the vegetables on top of the chilla like uttapam if you want. Both way it work fine.
This is my favorite breakfast recipe when I want to make some thing quick, healthy and delicious for the family. I add what ever vegetables i have in the refrigerator.
How To make Besan Cheela/pudla and few tips
For making Besan chilla the main ingredient you need is obviously Besan/ Gram flour 🙂 and then just few basic Indian spice. First of all you have to mix the gram flour and water and make a smooth medium thick batter and then cover and let it rest for 15 minutes minimum.
The amount of water added in the batter depends on the quality of besan and the quantity of vegetables we are adding in the batter. The chopped vegetables will also release some water so don’t add too much water initially, can add later if needed.
Now Mix all the spices and finely chopped vegetables in the batter. I finely chopped the vegetable in my vegetable chopper so either use a chopper, grater or chop very finely with knife. Don’t add big pieces of vegetables else you will not be able to spread the chilla/ pudla thinly and properly.
Do add ajwain/ carom seeds , asafoetida and ginger as Gram flour is quite heavy to digest and these ingredients helps in easy digestion.
The batter of besan cheela should be of smooth flowing consistency. Don’t make it thick else it will not become soft and become quite heavy to digest. You can add any vegetable or greens of your choice in the batter or just make plain cheela.
Cook it from both the sides with ghee, butter or oil or can make oil free by using a non stick pan. It can be served with chutney ,ketchup or any tangy dip of your choice.
Have a look on these breakfast recipes-
- Waffle Uttapam
- Sooji Toast
- Lauki Moong Daal Cheela
- Poori Bhaji
- Grilled Potato Sandwich
- Chana Daal Dhokla
- Pudina Paratha
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Besan Cheela, Vegetable Besan Pudla
- 1 cup Gram flour / Besan
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta optional
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1/2 cup Mixed vegetables finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 cup water check notes
- In a big deep bowl add gram flour, rice flour and water and mix well to make a lump free smooth batter.cover and keep aside for 15 minute minimum.
- Now add the finely chopped vegetables in the batter and mix well. You can add any vegetable of your choice i.e cabbage ,cauliflower, capsicum ,carrot, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli etc.
- Heat a flat cast iron pan or a non stick pan and wipe it with little oil dipped cloth or tissue to season it.
- When the pan become medium hot then pour a ladle full of batter on the tawa and gently spread it thinly . Take care that it will not break while spreading.
- Let it cook on medium to low heat till the top looks dry.
- Now drizzle a tsp of oil or ghee over and around the edges of the cheela and then flip it over.
- Cook from the other side too and drizzle a tsp ghee or oil around the edges so the bottom sides also become nice and golden.
- When chilla get cooked from both the sides then remove from the tawa and serve hot.
- Serve with mint chutney, ketchup and a tangy dip of your choice.
- Addition of rice flour or maida is optional ,it helps to make the cheela soft ,even if it become cold.
- You can add any assorted vegetables of your choice in the cheela but chop them very fine either in a vegetable chopper or grate them.
- Can also make plain without any vegetable , or can just add tomato ,ginger and fresh coriander if available .
- You can also make it oil free on a non stick flat pan.
- The quantity of water depend on the quality of gram flour and the quantity of vegetables you are adding in the batter so add little less water in the beginning and then adjust accordingly later.
- The batter should be of smooth flowing texture , don't make it thick .
- If ajwain is not preferred then can add cumin seeds instead.