Al Yakhni-Kashmiri Doodhi Yakhni
Bottle gourd curry cooked in yogurt and aromatic spices
Servings: 5 people
- 400 grams Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1.5 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Powder / Saunth
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
Peel and chop bottle gourd in big pieces.
Deep fry in medium hot oil till cooked and soft.(traditionally mustard oil is used in kashmiri cooking,but you can use any refined oil)
Heat oil in a pan add cumin asafoetida,cloves and cardamom.
When become golden, add churned curd and stir fry for 1 minute
Add all the spices and cook for 1 minute,keep stirring.
Now add 1/2 cup water (or add 1cup water if you want little thin gravy)and fried bottle gourd and cook coverd for 2-3 minutes on slow flame.
Garnish with fresh coriander.
Serve hot with roti or rice
Note-addition of turmeric is optional and you can substitute red chilli powder with green chillies .
Serving suggestions-serve with naan,roti,or with boiled rice
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 453mg | Potassium: 1106mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 13.2mg | Calcium: 630mg | Iron: 11.2mg