Al Yakhni – A curd based bottle gourd curry from the state of Kashmir
Al Yakhni / Lauki Yakhni is a very popular and delicious dish from Kashmir. This is a specialty dish from the Kashmiri pandit cuisine.
Yakhni is usually made with non veg items but this can also be made with vegetables . The most popular ones are made with lauki and lotus stem.
In Kashmiri the meaning of ‘AL ‘ is lauki and yakhni is a yogurt based thin curry.Fried bottle gourd slices are simmered in a flavourful thin yogurt curry. The curry is flavored with fennel, ginger,cardamom and regular spices used in Kashmiri cuisine.
Traditionally it is cooked in mustard oil but you can any cooking oil of your choice. Al yakhni is quite simple and easy to cook recipe.It is served with steamed rice or rotis.
You can also try these Kashmiri Recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Al Yakhni-Kashmiri Doodhi Yakhni
Bottle gourd curry cooked in yogurt and aromatic spices
Servings: 5 people
- 400 grams Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1.5 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Powder / Saunth
- 3/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- Peel and chop bottle gourd in big pieces.
- Deep fry in medium hot oil till cooked and soft.(traditionally mustard oil is used in kashmiri cooking,but you can use any refined oil)
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin asafoetida,cloves and cardamom.
- When become golden, add churned curd and stir fry for 1 minute
- Add all the spices and cook for 1 minute,keep stirring.
- Now add 1/2 cup water (or add 1cup water if you want little thin gravy)and fried bottle gourd and cook coverd for 2-3 minutes on slow flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with roti or rice
Note-addition of turmeric is optional and you can substitute red chilli powder with green chillies . Serving suggestions-serve with naan,roti,or with boiled rice
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 453mg | Potassium: 1106mg | Fiber: 29g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 9% | Vitamin C: 16% | Calcium: 63% | Iron: 62%