Fresh pea pods tempered and stir fried with spices
Fresh peas are now flooded in the market .They are available on very reasonable prices . Whole year we have to use the frozen ones but now we all prefer to use the fresh peas .In my kitchen now Peas are added in almost every vegetable .Kids love the Aloo matar curry ,Aloo Matar ki tahiri ,the tempting and crisp Matar paneer kachori OR the traditional U.P style Matar kaa Nimona the whole afternoon is spend shelling the fresh peas but as I love fresh peas very much so no complains either.
This Chatpati matar ki phali is a recipe from rural area,while farming the pea fields farmers often makes this as a snack It is a very quick and easy recipe and can be used as snack ,for a get together or BBQ nights. be Careful to choose the tender,fresh and clean pea pods ,just check and wash them well before cooking.They taste great when made little spicy but you can adjust according to your taste.
How to eat the masala phali –
After cooking just take a pod and put in your mouth ,hold with your teeth and then pull it out gently, the seeds and the masala will be in your mouth and the shell should be thrown out, like we eat the drumsticks.
Chatpati Matar Ki Phali, Masala Matar
- 350 gms fresh pea pods whole
- 3 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/3 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- Wash the fresh tender pea pods and keep aside.
- Heat a broad and heavy pan and add oil in it.
- Now add cumin ,carom and asafoetida in the pan .
- When cumin seeds start to crackle add turmeric and fresh pea pods in it .
- Now add salt ,black salt and mix well.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of water and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat .
- Stir 2-3 times in between.
- Cook till the pods are cooked and become little golden or brown spots on it .
- Now add chili powder and mix .
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and mix.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve hot and enjoy
- If the pods get slightly burned then it is perfectly fine ,they taste even better now.
- Choose the pods carefully .
- Taste great hot or cold.