Masala mathri- Very Crispy masala Mathri made with refined flour and Indian spices
As the festival of colours-Holi is coming soon and I have a List of sweet and savoury to make before holi,so first I made a batch of crispy Masala Khaajali which I shaped in the form of chaklis ,Mathri are the favourite snack of North India and have so many versions of making mathris.
I love Punjabi masala mathri in which coriander seeds and pomegranate seeds are added for the taste and crunch. You can be as innovative as you can while making mathri,just remember to add enough moyan/oil in the dough to give crispness and flakiness to mathri and fry it on low heat.
On every holi I always makes khoya ki Gujhiya, Gulab jamun, Pista barfi and Aloo Bujiya sev and on family demand the Kesariya thandai is also a must made item,which is made in a big batch to serve all the guest and family coming to wish and play Holi at our place.
I am sending this Masala Mathri recipe to my blogger friend Sonal for her event-Holi collection recipes on her blog-simplyvegetarian777,you can check her blog for so many interesting Holi recipes.
- 1 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 2.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/3 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 3/4 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch crushed coarsly
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Pinch of Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Readymade Pickle Masala / Achar Masala
To make paste
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tsp Refined Flour / Maida
- In a big bowl add refined flour,all the spices and cooking oil and mix well.
- Now add some water and knead to make a medium hard dough
- Cover the dough with a lid and rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead again and make small balls from the dough
- In a bowl mix the cooking oil and refined oil and make a paste.
- Take 4 balls and roll them seperately to make 4 medium thin rotis/discs.
- Take a rolled roti apply some oil and refined flour paste all over it .sprinkle some pickle masala over it.
- Cover it with 2nd roti and apply some paste all over the roti.sprinkle some pickle masala over it.
- Now cover it with the 3rd roti and then apply the paste all over.sprinkle some pickle masala over it.
- Cover it with the 4 th roti and then slightly press it.
- Now roll it to make a long roll/log
- Make thin slices from the log and keep aside.
- press each piece with your palm to flatten it slightly.
- Repeat the process with all the remaining dough.
- In a deep and broad pan heat enough oil to deep fry.
- Add few pieces in the oil and cook on slow heat till they become golden and crisp.
- No need to turn the sides frequently ,just turn the side only once,
- Drain on a paper napkin when done
- Serve with mint chutney and a cup of hot tea