Arabic Lentil Soup – An Easy,healthy and delicious Middle eastern soup
Lentil soup or Chorbat- al-ads is a very popular soup in Middle east region. In India and rest of the world soups are mostly made with vegetables. In Indian Mughlai food we also have daal ka shorba quite similar of this lentil soup.
Arabic Lentil soup is made with red masoor daal /red lentil which is quite easy to cook and easy to digest. So you can easily make it in a pressure cooker or in a pan.The flavoring is simple as only salt,turmeric and roasted cumin powder is added in it. Lemon juice is added while serving and can not be skipped.
Even though I am living in the gulf for 3 decades but never tasted this soup as it looks quite blend for my taste and I prefer having this Chinese sweet corn soup any time but on my recent Egypt trip when there was very few vegetarian food options for us then I tasted it with khubz and liked the mild and simple flavors . You can serve this lentil soup along with these Arabic recipes for a complete menu- Zaatar Manakeesh ,Roasted bell pepper and walnut dip- Muhammara dip, the famous Falafel Sandwich, crisp and delicious Tabbouleh Salad with the Arabic dessert –Eggless Basbousa
Arabic lentil soup
- 1 cup Red Lentil /Pink Masoor daal
- 75 gms Carrot / Gajar
- 1 small Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3 cup Water / Paani
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 8 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2 tsp Olive Oil / Zeitoun Ka Tel
- 1/3 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- Wash and soak red lentil and chop the carrot into small pieces.
- Heat oil in pan and add bay leaf and pepper corns.
- Saute for few seconds and then add lentil and carrots and stir for few seconds.
- Now add water, turmeric, cumin powder,tomato and salt and cook till done or pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- let the mixture come to room tempearture and then blend it with a hand blender to make it soft and creamy.(or just whisk to mix well)
- Check the consistency ,if it is thick then add some hot water and give it a boil.
- Now add lemon juice and mix .
- Seve hot with a lemon wedge and some olive oil, paprika and chopped parsley drizzled on top .
- For variation you can add some chopped vegetables in it
- You can add some chopped ginger and green chilies at step 2.
- You can serve it chunky instead for making it smooth.