Zaatar Manakeesh – A popular bread from Middle East.
Manakeesh/ Manoosheh is a popular Middle Eastern bread which is originally from Labanon.It is a version of arabic pita bread topped with the very delicious and flavourful spice blend -Zaatar. Zaatar is a blend of different spices like -thyme, oregano, sumac,coriander,toasted sesame seeds,Marjoram,cumin and salt. This zaatar mix is mixed with generous amount of olive oil and applied on the zaatar mankeesh before baking.You can have this zaatar manakeesh any time of the day.It is a very popular any time breakfast and snack item of Middle east like the Falafel sandwich.
Zaatar Manakeesh can also be served as a wrap filled with fresh tomato and cucumber slices,fresh mint leaves ,pickled jalepenos and olives or can be as experimental as you can,You can serve this with Muhamaara ,tzatziki, with plain yogurt or with just a cup of tea or coffee
You can make zaatar manakeesh either by applying zaatar mix on top or can top the zaatar with Halloumi cheese, akkawi cheese,kashkaval cheese,Feta cheese,or a mix of halloumi and mozzrella. Can make the topping with any of your favourite cheese mix . It taste almost like a cheese pizza and taste so awesome.
Zaatar Manakeesh Recipe
- 3 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 2.25 tsp Active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil / Zeitoun Ka Tel
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 3/4 cup Zaatar spice Mix
- 1 cup Olive Oil / Zeitoun Ka Tel
- In a bowl add 1 cup of luke warm water and mix sugar and yeast.
- Stir to mix and cover the bowl and keep aside for about 5 minutes or till it froth well.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl and mix ,now add the olive oil and mix well with your finger tips.
- Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture and mix it well.
- Add some more water if needed to make a soft dough.
- knead the dough for about 5-8 minutes till it turn smooth.
- Keep the dough ball in a greased bowl and let it rest for about an hour or till it become double in size.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree C .
- Make 11 equal size balls from the dough or depends on how big or small you want to make.
- Let the balls rest for about 15 minutes till they become double in size.
- In a bowl mix olive oil and zaatar mix for the topping.
- Dust the dough balls with dry flour and roll to make a flat bread ,like a thin crust pizza.
- Press it all over with your finger tips to make slight indentations to absorb the topping.
- Spread zaatar mix all over it ,just leave the edges slightly.
- Arrange in a baking tray and bake for about 7-10 minutes ,depending on the size and tempearture of your oven or remove as soon as the sides start turning golden.
- Serve hot with your favourite dip or just with a cup of tea or coffee.