A healthy and delicious Mixed fruit Relish
Pickles and chutneys or relishes are Indian style accompaniments to serve along with the main course or to serve with snacks. Some are made daily and some are made in big batches as they have a good shelf life. I love making chutneys and pickles with different vegetables and fruits. This mixed fruit chutney recipe needs only fruits.
My family likes different types of accompaniments so I regularly make – Kiwi and mint chutney, sweet and tangy Apple chutney. I also make my daughter’s favourite Pineapple and pepper relish which goes very well with sandwiches. Ber ki chutney and Guava and Mint chutney are made seasonally whenever I get hold of good quality Ber and Guava here in Dubai
Whenever we buy a lot of fruits from the market, some always end up getting overripe or stale by lying in the refrigerator for too long. These fruits may not look very fresh or retain their original crisp texture – but are just as nutritious. Since no one wants to eat them anymore, the only option to use them is to create some thing interesting, which every body can enjoy happily.
I made this mixed fruit chutney to use the fruits lying in my refrigerator and it turned out to be very delicious. I have now started making it very frequently. You can add a few more fruits of your choice in it but avoid adding bananas in it as it will overpower the taste of this chutney. Do try this and let me know how it turns out for you. It is also a good recipe for fasting days. You can make this during Navratri or any fasting days, it is very good for kids too, you can also use this as a spread on toast or serve with snacks or as a side dish with main course meals.
Mix Fruit Chutney
- 2 Oranges
- 2 Red apple
- 1 Green Apple
- 4 kiwi fruit
- 2 Plum/aloo bukhara
- 2 Peach
- 1 Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 2 tbsp Dried Black Raisin
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1 tbsp Chili flakes /Kuti hui laal mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2.5 tbsp Vinegar / Sirka
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- Peel,deseed and chop orange into small pieces.
- Peel,core and chop apples into small pieces.
- Peel and chop kiwi ,peach ,raw mango and plum.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin and when it start to crackle add cardamom and cinnamon.
- Now add all the chopped fruits and 3 tbsps of water.
- Cover and cook on low heat till apples become soft .
- Now add sugar,ginger and all the spices and simmer till it start to thicken.
- Let it cool down completely and then store in a glass bottle
- Keep refrigerated .
- You can also use grapes or normal raisins instead of dried black raisins.
- Can use crushed pepper powder instead of red chili powder if you are making it for fasting.
- You can make it chunky or can mash it after adding sugar.I made it quite chunky.
- Quantity of sugar depends on the tartness of the oranges.