Aloo Parwal ki Ras Wali Sabzi- A simple and delicious potato and pointed gourd curry
Parwal/potol /patola/green potato is a seasonal vegetable and is available during summers till monsoon season. Parwal is mainly used in North and East India specially in the states of Orissa and Bengal.
This parval vegetable is easy to digest so recommended for the patients with weak digestion,constipation, jaundice and is specially good for stomach ailments. It has many health benefits, is low in cholesterol and fat.Is very easy to digest so recommended for the patients with weak digestion ,is antipyretic, laxative, helpful in treating jaundice, ulcers and other liver problems so its good to include this vegetable in your diet during summer and monsoon season.
Many People often get confused between tindora and parwal as both looks quite similar by colour and size but are very different in taste and texture,Parwal have round big seeds which can be consumed if they are tender but if the seeds are hard and black then they should be removed.
This Aloo Parwal ki ras wali sabzi ki recipe I am posting today is a simple, easy to make recipe which can be made in the pressure cooker and served with roti or paratha,its a simple roz ka khana type recipe.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Aloo Parwal ki Ras Wali Sabzi- Every day sabzi
- 250 gms / 6 pieces Pointed Gourd / Parwal
- 350 gms / 2 medium size Potatoes / Aloo
- 2 small Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green chilies chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 3/4 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- Scrape parwal and chop into cubes , peel and chop the potatoes
- Grind together tomato, green chili and ginger and make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and add cumin and bay leaf,when it start to crackle then add asafoetida.
- Add the ground tomato paste ,curd and all the powdered spices(except mango powder) and saute till oil start separating from the tomatoes.
- Now add potatoes and parwal and saute for a minute.
- Add 1.5 cup water and mix it well.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles or cook till the vegetables become soft.
- Open the cooker and add chopped coriander and mango powder (or 1 tsp lemon juice )and mix.
- Serve with chapati, paratha or jeera rice