Parwal Ki Bhujiya- a simple yet delicious stir fry made with thinly sliced pointed gourd
Parwal ki bhujiya- Parwal is a seasonal vegetable and is available during summers till monsoon season. Aloo Parwal/Pointed Gourd/patal/potol is mainly used in North and East India specially in the states of Orissa and Bengal.
Parwal has many health benefits, is low in cholesterol and fat.Is very easy to digest so recommended for the patients with weak digestion ,is antipyretic, laxative, helpful in treating jaundice, ulcers and other liver problems.So its good to include this vegetable in your diet during summer and monsoon season.
In North India Parwal is is a favourite vegetable as it is easily available and reasonably priced during the season. it belongs to melon family and grows on vines. Like all the other vegetables there are few versions and methods of making parval ki sabzi but In U.P this is mainly made in the form of dry curry/bhujia but some prefer to make it in a simple thin soupy gravy.
Many People often get confused between tindora and parwal as both looks quite similar by colour and size but are very different in taste and texture, Parwal have round big seeds which can be consumed if they are tender but if the seeds are hard and black then they should be removed. when you buy parwal try to choose small,crisp and dark green in colour parwals. Avoid parwal’s which are very big, soft and yellow in colour.
Peeling it is again optional ,you can peel it ,scrape it or just wash and slice it . if you peel it then it become soft while cooking but I always either scrap it lightly or just wash it well and then chop or slice, it this way it remains crisp after cooking. But it depends on individual choice,do what ever texture you want to have in your sabzi.
Today i am sharing a very simple, delicious and popular bhujiya recipe which is quite popular in U.P and Bihar. You have to thinly slice the pointed gourd lengthwise. Temper it in hot mustard oil and cumin and when its done, saute it with few basic spices. it is best enjoyed with daal-chawal, khichdi, thepla or roti.
If you are looking for more parwal recipes then do try these-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
How To Make Parwal Ki Bhujiya
- 450 gms Pointed Gourd / Parwal
- 3.5 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- salt to taste
- Wash the parwal with enough water.
- Slice the parwal lengthwise in 6 to 8 pieces(depending on the size and thickness of parwal)
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds. when cumin starts to crackle add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Immediately add the parwal slices and add salt ,saute for few seconds.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat.
- Keep stirring 3-4 times in beteen so the parwal will not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When parwal become soft then add chili powder,coriander powder and mango powder and mix.
- Saute for 1-2 minutes on low heat so it become crisp.
- Serve hot with daal chawal, khichdi, poori or chapati .