Bengali Mishti Pulao- A very popular and delicious rice preparation with saffron,nuts and a hint of sugar- From the land of Bengal
Bengali Mishti pulao is a very popular and authentic rice preparation from the land of Bengal. It is made in each and every household of Bengal ,specially on festival and special days .Though it is named as Mishti pulao but it is not as sweet as zarda pulao .just a hint of sweetness is there due to the addition of sugar and nuts.
Addition of peas is optional but it gives a good contrast of colour to the yellow rice . The amount of raisins and nuts can be adjusted according to your taste the more you add the more richer it become.
Addition of whole spices gives a nice aroma and flavour to this pulao so don’t skip adding the garam masala in this pulao. You should add saffron for the delicate aroma but can also add turmeric only.
This Bengali Mishti pulao is also popular as Bengali Holud Mishti Pulao , sweet saffron pulao and Ghee bhat .In Bengal Gobindo bhog rice which is a short grain rice with a very delicate aroma is preferred in every rice preparation.
Mishti pulao is also made with Gobindobhog rice but you can also use any aged short grain or basmati rice to make this Pulao .There are few slightly different version of making this pulao but here I am sharing my way of making Mishti Pulao .
- Bengali cabbage and potato curry,
- Kancha Amer chutney ,
- Aloo Chorchori ,
- Bengali Beetroot chops,
- Tetor Daal
- Matar Kachori
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Bengali Mishti Pulao
- 3/4 cup Gobindo bhog rice
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup Cashew Nuts / Kaju
- 3 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 2 tbsp Sugar / Chini
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 8 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 10 thread Saffron / Kesar
- 1 tsp Rose Water / Gulab Jal
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch slit
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 6 Almonds / Badam sliced
- Wash rice and soak for 15 minutes in enough water.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan and add cashew,sliced almonds and whole spices and saute.
- Now add the slit green chili ,green peas and raisin and give a nice stir.
- Drain the rice and add in the pan.
- Now add salt ,sugar,saffron, turmeric,ginger and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add 1.5 cup water and wait till it start to boil.
- Now cover the pan with a lid and simmer till rice is cooked and all the water get absorbed.
- Sprinkle rose water and fluff the rice gently.
- Cover the pan and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with few fried cashews and raisins and serve hot.