Matar ki Kachori- Fresh green pea stuffed fried bread
Kachoris are deep fries flaky crisp bread,They are stuffed with lentils ,spices or vegetables. The main difference between poori and kachori is that pooris are mostly plain and kachoris are stuffed with either lentils,spice mix or vegetables. kachoris are more crisper and flaky then pooris.
In my family we all love kachoris ,be it the famous Urad daal ki khasta kachori which is served with khatta metha kaddu or the Moong daal kachori or the Aloo ki khasta kachori which I learned from a good friend of mine .Festivals are incomplete without having some thing crsip ,spicy and delicious food.
On The festival of Holi Kesariya Thandai , soft and delicious Dahi vada, khoya ki Gujhiya , Tangy Kanji vada are must make recipes and I follow the tradition every year. Today i am sharing a very Delicious and quite easy to follow recipe of making Matar Ki kachori , Fresh peas are still available in the market and in case you may not find fresh ones then you can easily make these matar ki kachoris with frozen peas.Do try this delicious Matar ki kachori this Holi !
Matar ki kachori
For the dough
- 2 cup Refined Flour / Maida
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/4 tsp Sugar / Chini
For the stuffing
- 2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 3 Green chilies
- 1/3 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Nigella Seeds / Kalonji
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin Powder / Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya optional
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder optional
- For the dough- Take a bowl and add maida,salt and oil and rub it well.
- Now add lukewarm water and make a soft dough,cover and keep aside to rest.
- For the Stuffing-
- Grind green peas,chopped green chilies and fresh coriander to make a fine paste ,don't add water to grind peas.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add kalonji and asafoetida.
- Now add ginger paste, green peas paste ,sugar and salt and saute till the mixture dries up and start leaving the sides of the pan and become like a paste
- Now switch off the flame and add the roasted cumin powder and mix.
- Let it come to room temperature.
- Knead the dough and make equal size of balls from the dough .
- Make same number of balls from the pea mixture ,slightly smaller in size as compared to the dough balls.
- Take a dough ball ,flatten it slightly and stuff with the pea mixture.
- Bring the sides together and seal the stuffed dough ball from all sides.
- Dust with some flour or use oil and roll to make a thick poori. Roll all the poori's and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a broad deep pan and deep fry the kachoris from both sides on medium heat till they become crisp and golden.
- Drain on a paper napkin and serve hot.
- Serve with aloo dum, curd,mint chutney or Tamarind chutney.
- Addition of mango powder is optional ,you can also add chat masala instead of mango powder.
- Garam Masala can also be added if you want to make it spicy. Though Bengali's make it mild in taste with the prominent sweet taste of fresh peas.
- You can add 1.5 tsp of roasted gram flour/besan in the filling if it is quite sticky or soft even after cooking and you are having difficulty in rolling.
- 2-3 tbsp of semolina/sooji can be added in the dough to make kachoris more crispier.