Aloo kachori -Crisp homemade pastry shells stuffed with mint and potato mixture
Aloo kachori is a popular snack in North India, with a few different versions to suit regional tastes. When I came to Dubai, I tasted this delicious crisp kachori which is an specialty of the Bhatia community. Since then this is one of my favourite recipes, and every one at my home loves this. The addition of mint and ground pomegranate makes this special and different. These are best served with mint chutney and date and tamarind chutney
If You Love kachories then do try these-
Aloo Kachori / Potato Puffs
To make outer layer/pastry shell-
- 2 cups Refined Flour / Maida
- 7 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 8 drops Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 4 medium Potatoes / Aloo Boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch minced
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 3 tsp Dried Pomegranate seeds powder/anardana powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya crushed
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil (to add in the stuffing)
- Cooking Oil to deep fry
Outer covering/pastry shell
- Take a big bowl and add all the ingredients listed for making outer layer.
- Mix well and make a soft dough with cold water,cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead well and make equal size balls from the dough.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients for stuffing and mix properly.
- Make equal size balls from the mixture,slightly bigger then the dough balls.
- Now dust the dough balls with refined flour and roll to make a medium thick poori.
- Place the potato ball in the centre and pull and close the poori from all sides,pinch off extra dough and make a round ball.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, add the kachoris on medium heat .
- Now lower the flame after a minute and fry the kachoris on low heat from both sides till golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin to absorb the extra fat,