Kanji Vada -Mixed lentil fritters soaked in a sour fermented drink – a Rajasthani specialty
Kanji vada -During Holi a delicious and different version is made using lentil nuggets soaked in the tangy and sour fermented kanji, which is popularly known as Kanji Vadas. Kanji is very good for digestion . It is made after Holi and Diwali so that we can digest the heavy food consumed during these festivals.
The lentil used to make kanji vada depends on regional and personal choice. Some prefer to make them with yellow lentils/moong daal only, Some add little urad daal with yellow moong daal, some use mix lentils, but in Rajasthan the vadas/nuggets are made mainly with either yellow moong daal or with a combination of moth daal and moong daal. You can use any combination they taste great every way.
How To Make Kanji Vada’s
For making kanji use either boiled and cooled water or use mineral water. Mustard seeds are ground and added in the water to give tangy taste. You can use grind black mustard seeds or use the yellow rai kuria , both work fine just a slight difference in colour.
After adding mustard powder, salt, chili powder, turmeric and asafoetida / hing let the water ferment for around 3-4 days. the fermentation time depends on the heat in the climate,it may take longer time in winter. Addition of turmeric is optional though I prefer adding it.
Soak lentil overnight then wash again and grind to make a fine medium thick batter. Deep fry small vada’s or pakodi’s in hot oil.When the water taste sour then add the fried vada’s in it and let the vada’s soak the flavors for a day or minimum 5-6 hours, make sure the vada swell up well and become soft after adding in the kanji. Now you can refrigerate the kanji vada’s and serve chilled kanji when ever required.
For making Easy and Instant kanji vada you can add besan boondi or besan pakodi instead of making daal vada’s.
You can also try these delicious kanji recipes-
you can subscribe to my youtube channel – Maayeka for new recipes every day
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Kanji Vada Recipe
- 1.5 liter Water
- 3 tbsp Mustard powder/ Pisi hui Rai
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Oil optional
- 1 tsp Black Salt/ Kala Namak
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 1.5 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
Foe Making Vada's
- 3/4 cup Yellow Lentil/ Moong Daal
- 1/4 cup White Lentil/ Urad daaal check notes
- 1 tsp Ginger/ Adrak chopped
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- For making Kanji-Take a big glass or a ceramic jar or use a earthern pot/matki and add water,mustard oil and all the ingredients to make kanji,mix well and cover with a muslin cloth
- Keep the jar in a warm place or in sunlight for few hours daily if possible and keep stirring the water 2-3 times a day.
- When the water taste sour its ready to use.((it may take approx.3-6 days, depending on the climate.
- Vada-Soak moong daal and urad daal/ moth daal in enough water overnight.
- Then drain,wash and grind the lentils with ginger and make a medium thick and smooth paste.
- Take the paste in a bowl,add salt,asafoetida and chili powder.
- Mix and beat the mixture well to make it light and fluffy.
- Heat enough oil in a wide and deep pan to deep fry. Make medium sized round vadas/pakoris by dropping the batter with a spoon or with wet fingers,in hot oil.
- Make 4-5 vadas at a time,don't over crowd the pan.Fry vada's from both the sides on medium flame,till nicely golden in colour.
- Remove vada's from the pan, let them cool down slightly and then directly add in the fermented water, OR soak in salted water for approx 2 hours.
- Squeeze the water from the vadas and then add in the fermented sour kanji (if soaked in water)
- Wait for a a day or few hours minimum so the vada become soft and soak in the kanji flavours then start using.
- You can also add boondi in the kanji if you don't have time to make vada's.
2-After the kanji become sour, keep it refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
3-First boil and cool the water or use mineral water to make kanji.
4-You can also add carrots,beets,turnip or potato in it . 5-You can either make vada's with only moong daal or mix some urad daal or moth daal.
Priyamvada chaturvedi says
Pls upload some more special dishes of our chaturvedi community…
Hi Priyamvada- I have already uploaded many of our community special recipes ,will try to post more
Ramya Krishnamurthy says
Thanks for sharing a new recipe to us in this occassion.love the array of recipes this month
Veena Theagarajan says
Interesting recipe new to me
like ur choice of recipes dear.. interesting one..
Priya Suresh says
Very interesting dish,happy to learn this new dish.
Yum yum, seriously wat a tempting dish, salivating here.
Amrita Vishal says
An interesting recipe..loved the pics
very nice kanji, nice click….
Wer SAHM says
very flavourful recipe…..must try this at some time…
Sowmya Madhavan says
This is so new and interesting..should try it sometime..
Nabanita Das says
I love this one…
prathibha Garre says
looks really delish…loved the recipe and even the pots..
Very new dish n lovely click
Event: Dish name starts with R till April 15th and a giveaway