Nepali Aloo ko Achar- Simple and flavourful potato pickle Recipe
Nepali Aloo ko achar/ Potato salad is a very popular and easy to make pickle recipe from Nepali cuisine.This pickle is very versatile can be served as a side dish with main course or with breakfast or snacks. It is a must have condiment in all occasions,wedding and on regular basis.
There are so many different versions of making this Aloo ko achar recipe ,though the basic ingredients will be the same but the consistency of the gravy may vary ,you can add more or less water and oil as per your preference. Sliced cucumber, radish and green chilies can also be added in this pickle. It is a very easy recipe just take care to use perfectly boiled potatoes ,don’t use overcooked or under cooked potatoes.rest you can adjust the spice level as per your taste.
I learned this Nepali Aloo Ko Achar recipe from a Nepali lady while I was doing a summer camp cooking workshop in a school here. Timur is a Nepali spice which have a very strong tongue tickling taste and is used in this aloo ko achar,The sweet Nepali lady not only shared her authentic family recipe but also gave me some timur which she brough from Nepal.
You can also use sichuan pepper instead of timur . The Aloo ko achar taste delicious even without using timur. Timur is easily available on online stores if you are interested in trying,else go ahead and make without timur and enjoy !!
I have also posted these delicious pickles which you can easily try and enjoy this season.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Nepali Aloo ko Achar
- 700 gms Potatoes / Aloo
- 1/3 cup White sesame seeds /til
- 1/2 cup Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak
- pinch Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Timur*
- 4 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2/3 cup Water / Paani
- 1 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 5 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Dry roast sesame seeds till they turn light golden and then let them come to room temperature and grind to make powder.
- Boil the potatoes ,peel and make medium size cubes.
- Wash,slit and chop green chilies in big pieces.
- Grind OR pound timur to make a fine powder.
- Take a big bowl and add the cubed potatoes, sesame seed powder, green chilies, salt, chili powder ,timur and mix well.
- Heat Mustard oil or any cooking oil in a pan and add the fenugreek seeds till they turn dark brown, switch off the flame and add asafoetida and ginger ,stir for a minute.
- Now pour this hot oil over the potato mix and stir properly.
- Now add water,lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander and mix well.
- Cover the pan and let it soak all the flavours for 1/2 to 1 hour then serve as a salad or pickle.
- If refrigerated it stays well for about a month but keep stirring and mixing it after 2-3 days