Bharwa Karela – Stir fried Bitter gourds stuffed with raw mangoes and Indian spices
Bharwa karela- The name of karela may not sound interesting to many people, but it is very healthy, and though now all the vegetables are available through out the year but karela is a summer special vegetable.
Though its slightly bitter in taste but is very good for people with diabetes, heart disease, constipation, also helps in boasting immune system, weight loss, liver health and many many more health benefits, so it should be included in our diet which ever way possible.
Its not quite easy to drink bitter karela juice but we can try and make different types of dishes with karela. stuffed,stir fried,poori,pakora ,kachri there are so many recipes to try with karela .You have many options to try and make it interesting rather then a boring bitter vegetable.
How To Reduce Bitterness from Karela
To remove the bitterness of karela a good amount of salt is rubbed over peeled karela, but i always peel it gently with a potato peeler to just remove a thin layer, no need to peel a thick layer, my mother just rubs and wash karela and never peel it as the peel has a lots of nutrients in it but don’t skip the step of-applying salt, resting for some time and then washing it well else the karela may still taste bitter after your so much effort. You can use the peel in the paratha dough.
How To Make Bharwa Karela-
After peeling and applying salt ,wash it properly and then squeeze the water from the karela. The main taste of bharwa karela comes from the addition of fennel and raw mango, if you don’t have raw mango then you can substitute it with mango powder or thick tamarind paste. The stuffed karela should be cooked in a heavy bottom broad pan on slow flame and don’t stir it too much, just gently flip the sides 2-3 times. No need to tie karela with thread.
Easy and quick way to make Bharwa karela
If you are in hurry and you want to make bharwa karela quicker then just boil the karela for few minutes in water with salt and a little sugar added.Then squeeze the water ,stuff and shallow fry till it is done.
This is a traditional and authentic bharwa karela recipe from Uttar Pradesh. We follow this same recipe from generations in my community and my household. Addition of raw mangoes and fennel powder make it delicious, different and special. Try this and you will surely love it.
I have also posted few more karela recipes –
- karela peel poori,
- Khatta meetha karela ,
- Daal karela
- Achari Karela
- Tangy karela ,
- Crunchy karela pakoda
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
How To Make Bharwa Karela, Stuffed Karela Recipe +video
Bitter gourds stuffed with raw mangoes and Indian spices.
Servings: 5 people
- 500 grams Bitter Gourd / Karela
- 3/4 cup Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam grated
- 3 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarsely grated / moti pisi huee
- 2.5 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- Lightly scrape the bitter gourds on the outside and slit it length wise from the center keeping the base intact.
- Now generously apply salt inside and outside of bitter gourds .
- Collect the peels in a bowl and apply salt (use of peels is optional but I prefer to use peel in the stuffing). Then keep aside for minimum of 30 minutes..
- Now wash the karela and peels 2-3 times with enough water and squeeze properly.
- If you are in a hurry then boil them in slightly salted water for 3 - 4 minutes, drain and squeeze well.
- Take a bowl add all the spices,washed and squeezed peels and 2 tsp oil and mix it well.
- Stuff the masala mix in all the bitter gourds, and press the masala mix tightly with your thumb so it will not come out while cooking.
- If you still have some masala mix left, then slice the potatoes in thick roundels, slit them from the center to make pockets and stuff the masala in it, or stuff the masala mix in some thick green chilies.
- Heat about 5 tbsp oil in a thick bottom pan, and add a pinch of turmeric then add place stuffed bitter gourds (and potatoes and chillies if any) in the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook on slow flame. Keep turning the sides occasionally, so they can cook from all the sides. (It will take a minimum 15- 20 minutes to cook properly)
- When done take out in a bowl and serve.
- It will remain fresh for minimum 3 days at room temperature.
Serving suggestions - Can be served as a side dish with any meal and great as a travel food. Shelf life - Stays fresh for 3-4 days at room temperature and for minimum 10 days in refrigerator
Tried this today and added a spoon of besan to the stuffing to suit the karela I got locally in Sydney. It was absolutely fantastic. Thank you for the recipe.
Job Portal says
Are your cup measures based on a 200ml cup or 250ml cup? Karela looks delicious! Thank you for generously sharing your recipes. Love your photos and presentation too.
Corey Cananza says
I’ve tried all three diets- veganism, vegetarianism, and a meat diet and I’ve always felt the healthiest with a vegan diet. Eating meat always made my energy levels decline and milk and eggs did the same but to a lesser degree. Plenty of protein can be found in so many natural vegan sources so the myth that vegans don’t get enough protein is wrong too. Keep up your good work.
Kushi S says
Stuffing is something new and very interesting. I am hungry looking at the pic:)Beautiful presenation!
Nandita Pai Shirali says
wow… this is such a unique dish… love the look of it! Cant wait to try it 🙂 Loved ur space 🙂
This is yummy! I never knew about stuffed KARELA! I will try it. Hope it is not very bitter!
I make this dish using dry mango powder but never tried raw mangoes..must make one day
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
Grind your cooking Masala
Stuffed Karela looks yummy.
First time here. U have very nice set of recipes and beautiful site. Happy to follow you:).
yum yum! nice combo of ingredients…luv it!
Deeps @ Naughty Curry says
yum, i love stuffed karela… i dint know raw mango cud be used thats a fantastic idea
Wow .. stuffed bitter gourd looks tempting. Thx for linking.
Event: Side Dishes
delicious! love the stuffing. the raw mango/fennel combo adds a nice flavor to the whole stuffing.
i love this.. nice way of getting people to eat karela esp for people who can't stand it like my husband 🙂
Ongoing Event : WTML
@Maayeka okay cool, thanks! 🙂
Hi Nisha,I have added 2 potatoes just to use the leftover stuffing.you can use according to your leftover masala.
Just recently I tried Kurkura Karela, I might give this Bharwan Karela a try too! How many potatoes, Anjana? (not mentioned in ingredients..)
Was reading comments above – Meena: how do you eat the karela skin?? [you may reply here, i'll come back to check]
Never prepared dis type of stuff in karela… yours look lovely.
Looks so yum 🙂
nice recipe, would luv to give it a try 🙂
Looks different with mango filling.
Makes me hungry..
just made karela subzi yesterday. your stuffed karela looks fantastic
I like karelas! ur Looks mouthwatering..i also make with raw mangoes and chickpea flour…
Wow…very yummy dish….. I love bitter gourd….will try this once…
They look so delicious, like the tangy mango filling..
Nice recipe. Thanks
The stuffing sounds interesting n new..would like 2 give a shot sometime
anjana i dont like karela at all but ur dish is very good. i do like karela skin which is scraped and later stored in fridge
Aruna Manikandan says
looks delicious 🙂
Hamaree Rasoi says
just had lunch still feel like hungry after seeing these bharwa karelas