Daal karela -Bitter gourd cooked with bengal gram and spices
Daal Karela is a healthy delicious easy recipe. Sliced bitter gourd is cooked with soaked and cooked chana daal. Deep frying the Karela slices is optional ,you can add them without frying also. Frying is done to remove the bitterness of Karela slices.
Then the Karela slices are added in the tomato masala mix and cook for few minutes. Can be served with roti or rice. This is a good healthy rice to pack in lunch box.
You can also try these Karela Recipes-
- Bitter gourd-300 gms(4 medium size)
- Chana daal( bengal gram)-100 gms
- Tomato-2 medium
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Sugar-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tbls
- Refined oil-2 tbls
- Wash and soak the chana daal in enough water for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles with a glass of water and 1/4 t.s turmeric (take care that the daal will cook but not become soft and mushy)
- Lightly scrap the bitter gourd ,slice in roundels and soak in salted water for 20 minutes.
- Drain and wash twice with enough water and then squeeze the water.
- Spread and press on a towel to absorb the extra water .
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the slices in batches to a golden colour on medium flame.
- Heat 2 tbls oil in a pan and add chopped tomatoes and salt .cover and cook till become soft.
- Now mash the tomatoes and add turmeric and chilli powder.
- Fry for a minute and add 3/4 cup water .
- When it start boiling add the boiled daal ,sugar and fried bitter gourd slices.
- Cover and cook on low flame till done
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Serve hot
Serving suggestions-serve with roti, rice or as a side dish
Daal Karela , Bitter Gourd cooked with bengal gram
Servings: 3 people
Hi Maayeka ,
Daal Karela looks spicy !!!!
Perfect match to hot chapathis
and hot rice:))))
Keep on Maayekaa…
Reshmi Mahesh says
New to me…Preparation looks yummy and sure my hus wud love it as both the main ingredients are his fav…
Never had the combo of karela and channa dal.. sounds interesting
It looks great..
A very nice recipe. I have been thinking that I have been following your blog and today I found out i was not. I am now become your blog follower. thanks for all the nice comments you leave on FMWs.
Haven't tried this combo, daily learning a new n healthy n recipe from you…thanks for sharing!!
will try it next time..
Wat an inviting and incredible dal karela.
Santosh Bangar says
new combo for me but sounds tasty try it soon
very tasty recipe…inviting clik
Interesting recipe, will sure try this
srividhya Ravikumar says
very delicious curry..first time to your space..great recipes.. following you..
kitchen queen says
awesome and delicious curry.
Spice up the Curry says
very delicious and healthy one.
Meg's Delicious Adventures says
never tried this healthy combo…looks so yum.
– Meg's delicious Adventures
Very interesting recipe, never tried karela this way..
it looks great… a new combination
i cant wait to have its taste..coming over there..
@kavi ,bitter taste is very much reduced after frying it self.do try this you will surely like this:)
Treat and Trick says
Never tried such a combo, it looks awesome!
Never tried this combo…interestign though..I like bittergourd in fried form
wow.. a dish with karela! nice. Is there a bitter taste left when the karela is cooked?
Shabbu's Tasty Kitchen
Different combo, looks so delicious.
Kaveri Venkatesh says
nice one anjana, u have a dish with chana dal and me too, are we having some telepathy or what. hehe
but i m not fond of karelas though mom does make moong dal with karela almost same way except for tomatoes. dry dish it is
its one of my favorite sabji.. looks great..