Tomato Rice-Flavorful and mild rice pilaf cooked with tomato and mint
Tomato Rice- Rice and rice preparations are favorite food in all the states of India,though it is the staple diet of southern India but in many North Indian states rice is also consumed on daily basis. Different variety of rice preparations are made according to individual choice and regional specialty.
What is Tomato Rice
This tangy tomato pulao is a specialty from Southern India and there are so many variation of making this .I learned this recipe from a friend of mine and since then I make it often, This is also a easy and delicious recipe for kids tiffin box
You can also add some boiled vegetables in it to make it more nutritious .This tomato bhath is very good as a quick lunch recipe or tiffin variety or to use as a travel food .You don’t need any accompaniment to go with this . A bowl of yogurt ,some salad and papad can be served if you want some thing to serve along.
How To make Tomato Rice-
There are 2 ways to make this rice. One is to boil the rice first or use your leftover rice and then add in the prepared tomato masala.
First method is to make the tomato masala first and then add the soaked drained rice in the prepared masala and cook it rice is done
Second is to boil the rice first or use your leftover rice and then add in the prepared tomato masala.
Do which ever method suits you. Both ways it gives best results and taste awesome.You can make tomato pulao in a pan,rice cooker or can use your pressure cook
If you love making rice/pilaf/pulao then do try these-
You can subscribe to my youtube channel – Maayeka for new recipes every week
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Tomato Rice | Thakkali Sadam
- 1.5 cup Rice/ Chawal
- 5 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar Chopped
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Sambhar Powder optional
- handful of Fresh Mint Leaves/ Pudina
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chili powder
- 1 Inch Beetroot Slice Optional
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/4 Cup Cashew/ Kaju
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Green Chilies
- 2 Bayleaves/ Tejpatta
- 5 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 6 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- Wash and soak rice for approx 20 minutes.
- Grind tomato and make a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or in a heavy bottom pan and add mustard seed and cumin in the oil.
- When seeds start crackling add cashews ,chopped green chilies, curry leaves and then add cloves, pepper corn, cardamom and bay leaves
- Now add the tomato puree and all the spices and cook till it started to thicken and start leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add chopped mint,all the spices and the soaked rice and and mix gently.
- Add 2 cups of water and mix properly, you can taste the salt and adjust if needed.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on slow flame or pressure cook for a whistle on medium heat
- Open when the pressure cooker cool down, open and gently fluff the rice with a fork, serve hot
- Serving suggestions-serve with yogurt,pickle and poppadoms
- you can also add mixed vegetables in this pulao along with green peas or just make it with tomatoes.
- you can make this pulao with basmati rice or with any short grain rice of your choice
Gayathri Sathyanarayanan says
Rice looks flavorful and yummy.
Priya Suresh says
Am ready to finish that whole platter rite now, tomato rice is just inviting me.
wow.. this recipe is very inviting
Arjunan Akilandeswari says