Vegetable biryani pulao -A very delicious and fragrant vegetable pulao with the flavours of Biryani
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-20 min
- Basmati rice-1.5 cup
- Mix vegetables-3 cup*
- Paneer cubes- 1/2 cup (optional)
- Mint leaves-10
- Cashew nuts-10
- Raisins-2 tbls
- Curd-2 tbls
- Saffron-1/4 t.s
- Milk-2 tbls
- Salt-1.5 t.s
- Green chillies-4
- Ginger juliennes-1 t.s
- Dried rose petals OR rose water-1 t.s(optional) *
- Garam masala powder-1/2 t.s
- Ghee-5 tbls
- Cumin seeds-1 t.s
- Whole red chillies-3
- Green cardamom-5
- Black cardamom-2
- Bay leaves-3
- Cinnamon -1 inch
- Whole pepper corn-10
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes in enough water.
- Take saffron in a glass bowl,cover and heat it for 30 seconds to make it crisp.
- Take out and crush it and soak in 2 tbls of milk .
- Chop mix vegetables- carrots ,beans,cauliflower,capsicum(or any vegetable of your choice) into small pieces and wash peas and corn kernels.slit green chillies lengthwise.
- Crush and open both the cardamoms and take out the seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan add ghee (you can also use oil ,but ghee gives a very nice flavour to any rice preparation )
- When ghee become warm add all the tempering ingredients and cashews and saute till golden in colour.
- Drain water from the rice, and add rice,raisins and slit green chillies in the ghee and saute gently for few seconds.
- Now add curd and all the vegetables,saute for few seconds
- Add salt, gram masala, mint leaves, rose petals, ginger, paneer and 3.5 cups of warm water.
- When water start boiling,lower the heat ,cover and cook till 80% done.
- Open the pan and drizzle the saffron mixture,cover and cook till done.
- When done, open the lid after 5 minutes and let it cool down completely otherwise it may overcook due to the heat and steam build up inside.
- Gently fluff the rice after 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Serving suggestions-best served with salad, raita,curd and mirchi ka salan
Excellent recipe. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog.
Thank you Udipi !
Super Kernel Basmati Rice says
It looks so tasty gotta try this today , thanks for sharing xx
Sadaf Afshan says
delicious looking veg pulao.
Hello Anjanaji, Thanks for visiting me. Your blog is lovely and seems God send as I am always hunting for no onion no garlic recipes. I do love onions and garlic but on some days one requires satvik recipes so I will definitely be "following" you. I am no young bride (been married for 19 years) but any motherly guidance is always welcome.
I hope to learn a lot from you.
Anisha Ranjit says
I was so happy to see the title of the post coz there are very few people who actually know the differnce between a Pulao and Biryani. I've seen blogs posting pulao recipes with the name biryani which is disappointing at times.
This looks just perfect, I can imagine how tasty this would be. Hope to try it out soon. The picture is very tempting. 🙂
Tempting ans filling..First class of it's kind.
This looks beautiful and yumm..
Reshmi Mahesh says
Looks super yummy…Delicious..
Avika J Chawla says
So colorful n tempting, i luv it wth raita..ummm.
Colorful and yum briyani
colorful & delicious biriyani:-)
Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)
2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom
have to try pulao with saffron, sounds very flavorful n yummy…great recipe!!
kitchen queen says
yummilicious and colourful pulao.
Prathima Rao says
Colorful & super delicious pulao!!
Suja Manoj says
Colorful and so tempting.
Spice up the Curry says
biryani looks just awesome. I am feeling hungry now
I have never added Saffron to my Pulao, wonder how it must have tasted.. Looking at the pics, answer must be "Great" !! 🙂
Lovely and colourful..
wow….super attractive biriyani…..awesome…
wow very beautiful.. lots of colours.. very tempting
Biriyani looks yummy yummy..all the vegetables make it look so colourful..
Looks beautiful and yumm!
Shobha Kamath says
Delicious and colourful looking Biryani !
Very colorful, and with all that flavors in it, should have smelled and tasted divine..
wow.. so flavorful.. making me hungry here 🙂
Kalpana Sareesh says
looks so colorful n yumm
yah saffron flavoured veg pulav..never heard pulav without onion..so love this.. if my MIl were alive i would have made this pulav without onion for her:(..
Santosh Bangar says
colorful biryani is eyecatching
Thank you. Thank you.
Vimitha Anand says
Love this flavorful one pot meal…
Vegetable biriyani looks colorful and yummy…
My Monthly Event – Spotlight:Curries/Gravies".
looks really lovely and delicious