Daal Maharani -A simple,mildly spiced and rustic pigeon pea and split black lentil curry.
preparation time-5 min
cooking time-10 min
- Tuvar daal -1 cup
- Black urad daal with skin-1 cup
- Fresh cream or milk -1 cup
- Lemon juice – 2 t.s
- Chilli powder -1/2 t.s
- turmeric-1/4 t.s
- Grated ginger -1.5 t.s
- Garam masala -1/2 t.s
- Cumin seeds -1/2 t.s
- asafoetida- a pinch
- Salt -1 t.s
- Ghee -2 t.s
- Mix and soak both the daals for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook with salt,turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, lemon juice and 1 glass of water for 3 whistle (or till cooked well) on medium heat.Daal should become soft but not mushy.
- Open the cooker and slightly mash the daal (if not cooked properly in the pressure cooker) now add fresh cream (or fresh milk) and 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Heat ghee in a small pan add ginger,cumin and asafoetida ,when cumin become golden ,add the tempering in the boiling daal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
serving suggestions-best with roti ,naan or boiled rice
Servings: 4 people