Mango daal – Pigeon peas cooked with raw mango and Indian spices
Mango Daal- Tuvar /Arhar daal is the favorite daal of my community.This Tuvar daal and rice combo is served on a regular basis for lunch ,though moong and masoor daals are used in between to change the taste and to add some variety,but arhar/tuvar daal is preferred any time.I have also posted that- tuvar daal Up style
I always use lemon juice to add sourness in tuvar daal but during summer season when raw mangoes are easily available I use raw mangoes instead of lemon juice.This mango wali daal goes very well with steamed rice and roti ,a spoon ful of melted ghee on top and it taste wonderful.
My mother makes the best tuvar daal,so today I am sharing my mothers recipe of making mango tuvar daal
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1 cup Tuvar daal /Arhar//Pigeon pea
- 1 cup Raw mango peeled and chopped
- 1 Tomato chopped
- 2 Green chili chopped
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds/Methi dana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 4 Whole red chilies
- Wash and soak tuvar daal in water for 15 minutes.
- Add the soaked daal,1.5 cup water,chopped tomato,chopped mango-3/4 cup,chopped green chilies,turmeric and 1 tsp of cooking oil in the pressure cooker.
- Pressure cook for 3- 4 whistles on medium flame or cook till done(soft to touch)
- Open the cooker when cool down completely and then slightly mash the daal
- Now add the remaining 1/4 cup chopped mango,salt,chili powder,coriander powder,sugar and ginger.
- Add 2 cup water(or according to the thickness you want) mix well and let the daal simmer for approx.10 minutes .
- Tempering-heat ghee in a small pan ,then add mustard ,fenugreek and fennel seeds.
- When mustard start crackling add asafoetida,curry leaves and whole red chilies.
- Pour this tempering on the boiling daal.
- Simmer for a minute and then add chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with boiled rice and a spoonful of ghee on top.