Khatti Moong Daal- Delicious tangy whole Green Gram curry cooked with fresh herbs and spices
Khatti moong daal or sabut moong is a very healthy lentil to consume as it have many nutritional benefits and is easy to digest if cooked properly. It is loaded with protein and Vitamins ,good source of Iron, Magnesium ,potassium, Phosphorous and also have anti oxidant properties.
Moong bean is low in saturated fat and a very good source of fiber. So try to include moong in your diet in some way.
There are many versions or recipes to make with whole moong. I have already posted few versions of making moong daal. In my community we make it little thicker and make it khatta meetha and serve with aloo ,matar mangodi ki kadhi and rice.
Each region and family have their own favorite versions of making daals . This mag methi is a specialty of Bhatia cuisine which I learned after coming to Dubai. This is quite different to the way I normally cook moong but I liked this very much and now this is cooked regularly in my kitchen.
This mag methi goes well with steamed rice and roti ,you can serve a dry stir fry to complete the meal. You can blend it completely and serve as a delicious lentil soup.
You may like to try these delicious moong recipes-
- Moong sprouts ,
- Moong sprout kachori ,
- Moong sprout chat,
- Moong Sprout masala
- Sabut Moong with yogurt
- Khatti meethi Moong
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
How to Make Khatti Moong, Mag Methi
- 1 cup Whole Moong Beans/ Sabut Moong
- 1.5 tsp Ginger/ Adrak Chopped
- 5 Kokum
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 6 slices Dried Raw Mango Slice/ Ambeli *check notes
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander
- To Taste Salt
- 1/3 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ Methi Dana
- 2 tbsp Ghee/ clarified butter
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Green Chilies/ Hari Mirch
- 4 Dried Red Chilies
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetidfa/ Hing
- Wash and soak moong for at least 1 hour.Soak fenugreek seeds in 2 tbsp of water in a separate bowl.
- In the pressure cooker heat ghee and then add soaked fenugreek seeds(drain the water from the seeds)
- Stir fry for a minute and then add the soaked and drained moong and saute for a minute.ORAdd the soaked daal and methi seeds, water ,salt,green chilies in the cooker and pressure cook for 5- whistles
- Now add 2 glasses of water and pressure cook for 3 -4 whistle or till cooked very well.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash or whisk the daal or use the hand blender to blend it.
- Add salt, sugar,turmeric, ginger,chopped green chilies, ambeli, kokum, curry leaves, broken dried red chili pieces, 2 tbsp of ghee and approx 2 or 2.5 glasses of water (can adjust the thickness according to your preference)
- Mix well and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander.
- Add a tsp of ghee while serving.
- Serving suggestions:-goes best with steamed rice or roti’s
- fresh raw mango pieces or dried whole mango pieces can also be added instead of kokum.
- Can skip the step 4 and directly add fenugreek and moong in the pressure cooker at step 6
- At step 7 we can use the starch drained from the boiled rice instead of water.