Daal Maharani -A simple,mildly spiced and rustic pigeon pea and split black lentil curry.
Daal Maharani is a simple yet delicious daal preparation from Punjab. It is much easier and lighter then the popular Daal Makhni.It is made with two lentils – Tuvar daal and Urad daal chilka. Though the equal ratio of both gives nice texture but you can adjust as per your preference.
The addition of cream gives richness and mild sweetness to this daal. For making it vegan you can add almond milk instead of cream or milk.
The recipe is quite easy ,quick and simple . The soaked lentils are cooked with few spices . Then a tadka is made and added in the prepared daal . The daal is simmered for some time so the flavors mix very well. The prepared daal is then served with Jeera rice and roti or naan.
Love making daal then do try these delicious daal recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1 cup Pigeon peas/ Tuvar Daal
- 1 cup Black urad daal with skin
- 1 cup Fresh cream or milk
- 2 tsp Lemon juice – 2 t.s
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2.5 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- Mix and soak both the daals for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook with salt,turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, lemon juice and 1 glass of water for 3 whistle (or till cooked well) on medium heat.Daal should become soft but not mushy.
- Open the cooker and slightly mash the daal (if not cooked properly in the pressure cooker) now add fresh cream (or fresh milk) and 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Heat ghee in a small pan add ginger,cumin and asafoetida ,when cumin become golden ,add the tempering in the boiling daal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- serving suggestions-best with roti ,naan or boiled rice