Daal Maharani -A simple,mildly spiced and rustic pigeon pea and split black lentil curry.
Daal Maharani is a simple yet delicious daal preparation from Punjab. It is much easier and lighter then the popular Daal Makhni.It is made with two lentils – Tuvar daal and Urad daal chilka. Though the equal ratio of both gives nice texture but you can adjust as per your preference.
The addition of cream gives richness and mild sweetness to this daal. For making it vegan you can add almond milk instead of cream or milk.
The recipe is quite easy ,quick and simple . The soaked lentils are cooked with few spices . Then a tadka is made and added in the prepared daal . The daal is simmered for some time so the flavors mix very well. The prepared daal is then served with Jeera rice and roti or naan.
Love making daal then do try these delicious daal recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
- 1 cup Pigeon peas/ Tuvar Daal
- 1 cup Black urad daal with skin
- 1 cup Fresh cream or milk
- 2 tsp Lemon juice – 2 t.s
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2.5 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- Mix and soak both the daals for 20 minutes.
- Pressure cook with salt,turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala, lemon juice and 1 glass of water for 3 whistle (or till cooked well) on medium heat.Daal should become soft but not mushy.
- Open the cooker and slightly mash the daal (if not cooked properly in the pressure cooker) now add fresh cream (or fresh milk) and 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Heat ghee in a small pan add ginger,cumin and asafoetida ,when cumin become golden ,add the tempering in the boiling daal.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- serving suggestions-best with roti ,naan or boiled rice
Supriya's Rasoi says
Hello Anjana ji your clog is lovely with several healthy recipes. I will surely try the dal maharani it looks yummy. Do visit my blog in your spare time.
looks yummy..bt here its diff 2 find dat dal
Looks incredible and super tempting..
Looks incredible and super tempting..
perfect recipe…looks so delicious n neatly presented!!
This looks super! The photos are gorgeous too!
Lubna Karim says
New kind of dal combo…looks really queen of dals…
Where is the maharaja? 😉
Truly a restaurant recipe. loved it.
Wow that was so inviting….
Gayathri NG says
Delicious n healthy curry…
bookmarked. great dal recipe
Treat and Trick says
Nicely presented and sounds fabulous!
Very healthy and nice beautiful presentation..
looks very delicious n thick,nice name of dal 🙂
Join me in the ONGOING EVENT- "Mint & Coriander seeds" (EP Series-Apr)
Sadaf Afshan says
Love this daal.
Nice combo of dals. Looks yummy and thx for linking.
I have nominated you for a Liebster award. Do stop by my blog to collect it!!
Have to try this. Like the combination of tuvar and the whole black gram.
I am getting hungry looking at your food photos.
nice and healthy daal
ah ok i thought u missed a step. in hotels i have seen dal maharani but never tried. this i got to try this as it would make nice change from usual dal. did u make rice pakodas
Hi..dal looks superb delicious ….
@ Meena-I have updated the post dear :).thanks for your query and comments..
hey anjana this looks good
i have a query
this milk has to be added after dal is cooked and also do we have to mash the dal or keep it as it is. wud love to make this