Daal Fry -A very popular,delicious and creamy daal from the land of Punjab
prep time-5 min
cooking time-20 minutes
- Moong daal(yellow lentil)-2 cup
- Tuvar/arhar daal(pigeon peas )-2 tbls
- Ginger-1/2 t.s
- Green chillies-2
- Fresh coriander-2 tbls
- Turmeric powder-1/2 t.s
- Pav bhaji masala-1/2 t.s
- Garam masala-1/2 t.s
- salt-3/4 t.s
- Lemon juice-1.5 t.s(optional)
- Oil-2 tbls
- Butter-2 tbls
- Cumin seeds-1 t.s
- Asafoetida-1/4 t.s
- Whole red chillies-2
- Kashmiri chilli powder-1t.s
- Wash,mix and soak the lentils for approx. 30 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water, turmeric and the soaked lentils then pressure cook just for 1 whistle .
- When done, open the pressure cooker and add 1.5 cup hot water, mix gently and give it a boil
- Chop tomatoes and ginger in small pieces and slit green chilli lengthwise.
- Heat oil in a pan,then add butter ,now add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When cumin start crackling add chopped green chillies,tomato and ginger,
- Add salt and cover and cook, till tomato become soft and mushy.
- Stir and add garam masala , pav bhaji masala and kashmiri chilli powder,.when oil start seperating from the masala then add this masala into the cooked lentils and mix gently.
- Add fresh coriander and lemon juice
- Serve hot with a spoon of melted ghee or butter on top:)
Serving suggestions-Best served with tandoori roti, naan and jeera rice
Daal Fry (Tadka Daal)
Servings: 4 people