Aromatic and delicious jackfruit pilaf- speciality from Awadhi Cuisine
Jack fruit/Kathal is a exotic vegetable,popular and enjoyed in many regions of India.It is a very good source of dietery fibre so a good option for vegetarians. Ripe jackfruit/kathal is used as a fruit and the tender young jackfruit is used to make stir fries,curries. Kathal is subzi and kathal biryani pulao is a popular delicacy from Awadhi Cuisine.
This kathal Biryani is very popular among vegetarian and non-vegetarians.To make this biryani jackfruit should be either boiled or fried according to personal preference and then it is marinated in a spicey yogurt marinade which gives a very nice flavour to the Biryani.
You need just a bowl of chilled yogurt or Spinach Raita and papadam to serve with.
The seeds of jackfruits are also edible but they have to be peeled carefully as mature seeds have a very thick plastic like coating which have to be removed carefuly before adding in the curries or pilaf.I have posted a delicious stir fry with jack fruit seeds-Kathal ke Beej ki Subzi
Prep time-20 min
Cooking time-30 min
- Rice-1.5 cup
- Jack fruit /kathal-3 cup
- Tomato, chopped-1.5 cup
- Yogurt /Dahi -3/4 cup
- Cooking oil -3 tbsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Ginger,grated -1.5 tsp
- Mint leaves,chopped -2 tbsp
- Fresh coriander- 1.5 tbsp
- Green chili paste- 1 tsp
- Red chili powder- 2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala- 1 tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Milk-3 tbsp
- Saffron-few strands
- Cloves /Laung-4
- Green Cardamom /Elaichi-4
- Bay leaf/Tejpatta-2
- Cinnamon /Dalchini-1 inch
- Star anise/Phool chakri -1
- Jackfruit marinade–Apply some oil on your hands and on the knife and peel the jack fruit skin and remove the center part.
- Chop jackfruit in small pieces and peel and chop the seeds.
- In the pressure cooker add 1 glass of water,1/2 tsp turmeric,1/2 tsp salt and chopped jackfruit and cook till done (about 2 whistles,depend on the quality and size of jackfruit)
- Drain the jackfruit and gently squeeze out the water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and shallow fry the jack fruit pieces for 2 minutes.
- Take the jackfruit in a bowl and add ginger, garam masala, chili powder, lemon juice and yogurt .
- Mix well and cover the bowl and let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- Warm milk and add crushed saffron in it.
- Rice–Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.
- Boil enough water in a big pan add the whole spices,1 tsp salt and the soaked rice and cook al dente.
- Drain the boiled rice on a colander and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee and 3 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add 1 bayleaf,1 tsp jeera ,green chili paste ,chopped tomato and salt.
- Cover and cook till tomato become soft.
- Now add the marinated jackfruit (along with the marinade) in the pan and saute till oil start separating.
- Add chopped mint,coriander, pinch of cardamom powder and boiled rice in the pan.
- Mix properly and sprinkle saffron milk on it .
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with yogurt, papad and pickle
Kathal Biryani Pulao / Jackfruit Pilaf
Servings: 4 people